CHICKEN / FOWL NAMES! To Name or Not to Name? Do You Name Yours? W/ Sally Sunshine & BantyChooks

Sally Sunshine

cattywampus
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Aug 23, 2012
PA
Chicken Fowl Names!

To Name or Not to Name?

Do You Name Yours?

Share their names, stories & pics!

We dont typically name our chickens any longer (or any of our fowl)
Since we made the decision to process our extra Roos,
Obviously naming and being BFFs was a bad idea unless
of course you choose nugget or BBQ and have the right mindset!
HOWEVER, there are always one or two fowl that
fall into a name for one reason or another.

So share your stories and names with us!
W/ Sally Sunshine & BantyChooks

This little serama hen, kiddo named "Freckles",
simply because she refuses to stop trying to eat ours.

Our Motto Here:
BE NICE OR LEAVE!!!!

I will keep track as best as I can and add your name suggestions here in the OP as long as I am able!

Last edited:
I do name my birdies, some on purpose and some just name themselves..... Like Rain, my EE. I named her sugar but for some reason Rain is what I kept calling her. :confused:

This is Sunshine, named after a certain BYC member here. ;)

She's the first of my EE x sultan line, that will hopefully be expanded in the next few years.... Stil waiting on her eggs to see how much more work I gotta do to get the line up to what I want. (I want blue/green)

Other names:
Jazzy
Jace
Bubbles
Tucson
Chrissy
Heather
Zoey
Hazel
Smudge
Friendly
Maple
Bella
Georgia
Emma
Rain
Gem
Mystery
Reynbow
Majic
HennyPenny
Pebbles
Haze
Kay
Pingu
Lucky
Skylar
Enya
Abi
Sunny
Sundae
Popper
Chena
Zeta

.... and some more I've forgotten at the moment, sorry chooks :oops:

Last edited:
I only name layers and roosters (not cockerels that can go to freezer camp). Meat birds might be jokingly called "Thanksgiving" or "Stew."
My current flock is named after singers.
Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton are a breeding pair.
Ozzie, Sharon, and Kelly Osbourne. The parents and baby dove.
Casey and Jojo
Janice Joplin
Aretha Franklin
Steven Tyler was supposed to be Meat Loaf, but his voice was wrong, and his coloring reminded me of something I've seen Steven Tyler wearing.
Bonnie Tyler because her coloring brought to mind the "Faster than the Speed of Light" album cover.
Stevie Nicks because she was fluffy and black with a nice white (fancy) collar. Like the singer a majority of the time!
Melissa Ethridge because she is the only green layer, kinda sassy and just unique.
Sheryl Crow because she had attitude! Red with a black tail just to be rebellious!
Reba McEntire she's red and sure of herself without being bossy.
Others are waiting until after culling.

Last edited:
I don't usually name my birds, but I have a few that are named. My showgirls are Jujubee and Adore after RuPaul Dragrace Queens. My kids named the two silkies Silver and Silver Nugget. I named the two chicks I successfully hatched for the first time Cassandra and Nick. Cassandra is after that skin person (the last pure human) on Doctor Who because I had to help her hatch and kept having to moisturize her. Nick is after Nick Andros on The Stand because he didn't make a sound the whole time in his egg and several hours after he hatched. He peeps just fine now.

From left to right, Silver Nugget, Adore, Silver, and Jujubee

Cassandra and Nick

I almost forgot my favorite guy, Little Roo. I got him as a spur of the moment chick purchase when I picked up a pig. He was the best rooster. Sadly, a raccoon got him this past summer.

Last edited:
I name the cocks I am keeping. I also name birds that I can easily identify wether by looks or personality. Usually the ones by looks are named after friends and people who are serving as ministers/missionaries that I support as a reminder when I see that bird to say a quick prayer for them.

Like Banti, some name themselves by personality and stand out from identical birds like my Georgie (curious) did even though she looked just like the other two BR there was no mistaking her.
Current names include Jay, Robbie, Josh, Jody, Jamie, Cheryl, Jade, Kristy, Rory, and several that will be named now that I have selected my keepers.

Last edited:
Only the memorable ones get names. My avatar roo is Jack. So, obviously, all of his sons are named Jackson. Only one of this year's pullets got a name. Named by hubby, who is SO NOT A FARMER! He called her Nosey Nellie when she was under foot while he did a needed repair on the coop. So, Nellie, it is. Middle names are Nosey, Noisy. This weekend, a flock of 19 wild turkeys came calling. The turkeys were all afraid of the chickens, and the chickens weren't so sure about the turkeys. They observed each other from opposite sides of the garden fence. All, that is, except for Nellie. She trotted around the garden fence to get a closer look. Scared those turkeys into the woods.

Having a small flock of pet bantams, yes my girls have names.

I also go with singers but, being an all girl flock, just females.

Their stories are on My Chicken Page [link below] but in summary we have:

Cilla [Cilla Black] aka GodCilla when broody.
Dusty [Dusty Springfield] aka Dustbin or garbage guts.
Blondie [Blondie: Debbie Harry] aka Blondzilla when broody.
LuLu [Lulu] aka Louie Luigi.
Crystal [Crystal Gayle] aka Chrissie.

Sadly we have lost a few girls over the years; they were Brittney, Suzi, Tina and KiKi

They also know their names which I was able to teach them by saying their name each time I gave them a meal worm or treat. Now, if I say their name when giving treats, that girl will know it is her turn and step closer or lean forward etc.

I do name my birdies, some on purpose and some just name themselves..... Like Rain, my EE. I named her sugar but for some reason Rain is what I kept calling her.
hu.gif

This is Sunshine, named after a certain BYC member here.
wink.png

She's the first of my EE x sultan line, that will hopefully be expanded in the next few years.... Stil waiting on her eggs to see how much more work I gotta do to get the line up to what I want. (I want blue/green)

Other names:
Jazzy
Jace
Bubbles
Tucson
Chrissy
Heather
Zoey
Hazel
Smudge
Friendly
Maple
Bella
Georgia
Emma
Rain
Gem
Mystery
Reynbow
Majic
HennyPenny
Pebbles
Haze
Kay
Pingu
Lucky
Skylar
Enya
Abi
Sunny
Sundae
Popper
Chena
Zeta

.... And some more I've forgotten ATM, sorry chooks
hide.gif

Wait! you have all of them named!!!! oh I can see you have more stories to tell... bantychooks story a day lol psss I Like Sunshine
love.gif
big_smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom