Chicken fried buttermilk marinated venison steaks with chicken gravy

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Bert2368, Jan 15, 2015.

1. Bert2368

Bert2368 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2013
    East central MN
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Take 1" thick venison steaks and pound flat with meat tenderizing mallet until about twice as wide or more- thinner is better.

Put pounded thin steaks in ziplock bag, pour in buttermilk and squeeze out excess air. Refrigerate for 4 to 24 hours, gets tendered the longer you marinate.

Remove steaks from bag and dredge in 50:50 wheat flour mixed with cornmeal, or cracker crumbs or cornflake crumbs, or unseasoned bread crumbs- Whatever suits you. Use no salt, unless you've chosen plain cornmeal. All other crumbs have plenty of salt already. I also like to add a good bit of ground thyme, some black pepper, paprika, granulated garlic and a pinch of sugar to the breading mix too.

Whip up an egg wash, 1 egg to 1Tablespoon of milk. Dip the dredged steaks in the egg wash, then dredge AGAIN in more of the flour mix- you want a HEAVY coating on these.

Fry in 1/2" or so of hot oil or lard. The batch shown was fried in rendered chicken fat from this year's excess roosters...

For the gravy: melt 1Tablespoon of butter or chicken fat in heavy saucepan, add 1Tablespoon of flour and heat with frequent stirring until flour turns light brown and smells a bit "toasty". Whisk in 1 Cup of hot chicken stock, add a pinch of thyme, sage, black pepper, granulated garlic as you like. Don't add salt without tasting , probably plenty in the chicken stock already. Bring to a simmer while whisking frequently.

Serve over/with chicken fried steak. I put some of my chickens eggs fried in the same pan as steaks over the top- Biscuits are nice too...

(Then go out and work in the cold to burn off the INCREDIBLE amount of calories!)

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Oh heavens. Throw some fried taters on there and I could die happy!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by