Chicken Fried Steak??

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Morgan7782, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    I am cooking a dinner of Chicken Fried Steak, mashed potatos and corn. I have the taters and corn down but does anybody have a good chicken fried steak recipe? I can do the basics, but if you have anything to share please do!! My family is not taste picky or anything so all and any seasonings are good. Just respond with your best chicken fried steak recipe please [​IMG]

2. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    This is the best one I've ever used and I've made a lot of them in my time.

Chicken Fried Steak
    Allrecipes.com

Ingredients
    · 4 (1/2 pound) beef cube steaks
    · 2 cups all-purpose flour
    · 2 teaspoons baking powder
    · 1 teaspoon baking soda
    · 1 teaspoon black pepper
    · 3/4 teaspoon salt
    · 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
    · 1 egg
    · 1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce (e.g. Tabasco™)
    · 2 cloves garlic, minced
    · 3 cups vegetable shortening for deep frying
    ·
    · 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
    · 4 cups milk
    · kosher salt and ground black pepper to taste

Directions

1. Pound the steaks to about 1/4-inch thickness. Place 2 cups of flour in a shallow bowl. Stir together the baking powder, baking soda, pepper, and salt in a separate shallow bowl; stir in the buttermilk, egg, Tabasco Sauce, and garlic. Dredge each steak first in the flour, then in the batter, and again in the flour. Pat the flour onto the surface of each steak so they are completely coated with dry flour.
    2. Heat the shortening in a deep cast-iron skillet to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Fry the steaks until evenly golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes per side. Place fried steaks on a plate with paper towels to drain. Drain the fat from the skillet, reserving 1/4 cup of the liquid and as much of the solid remnants as possible.
    3. Return the skillet to medium-low heat with the reserved oil. Whisk the remaining flour into the oil. Scrape the bottom of the pan with a spatula to release solids into the gravy. Stir in the milk, raise the heat to medium, and bring the gravy to a simmer, cook until thick, 6 to 7 minutes. Season with kosher salt and pepper. Spoon the gravy over the steaks to serve.

3. jmorriso

jmorriso Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2010
    I make a lot of chicken fried steak out of my venison tenderloins. I've found that the most important ingredient is a crushed korn flakes in your dredge. I like to season the bare steak, roll in egg wash, then dredge in corn flake/flour mixture. Then pan fry or deep fry for more crispy crust.

4. SparksNV

SparksNV Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Spanish Springs, NV
    My favorite part of cooking any meat in oil is the gravy. I have no fail directions for gravy:

Ingredients:

3/4 cup milk in a shaker container
    3 tablespoons flour
    salt
    pepper
    3/4 cup milk in a separate cup

While meat is cooking, Place 3/4 cup of milk in a shaker container and add 3 tablespoons of flour - salt and pepper to taste. Shake well. Pour an additional 3/4 cup milk into a separate cup ** DO NOT POUR INTO THE SHAKER CONTAINER ** and set aside.

After removing meat, drain all but 3 tablespoons of gravy. Keep as much of the bits/pieces left in the pan. Keep on medium heat. Give the shaker and quick shake and pour slowly into pan, stirring constantly. Immediately, pour in the second 3/4 cup milk and continue to stir. The gravy will thicken and there will be no lumps!.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2010
  5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

One thing I've found over the years is if after you have coated the meat with the flour or whatever you're using....and this goes for fried chicken too....is let it set for a while in a single layer in the fridge. The coating sets up and doesn't come off as easily when you're frying the meat.

6. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    Quote:As far as lumps go....put in the flour or what ever thickener you are using in a separate bowl first and then add you warm liquid. I heard the warm liquid helps to not clump the flour. Whisk it asap. I don't pour it in the pan till it is totally thin first.

7. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Thank you all for the wonderful tips! Especially the gravy and batter tips! Very helpful [​IMG] mine turned out wonderful

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by