1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chicken-friendly dog for rehome in Virginia

Discussion in 'Animals In Need of Free Re-Homing' started by pysankigirl, Jan 31, 2013.

1. pysankigirl

pysankigirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2012
    Virginia
    If you are looking for a dog that is great with other dogs, cats, kids and even chickens and goats, then we have the dog for you!

We are looking for a home for our 70lb Great Dane/hound mix. He is past the destructive phase of his life (although an occasional raid into the bathroom waste bin will probably always be of interest to him), housetrained, neutered, loves to cuddle. And he has an attractive, black & white, short, easy to maintain coat.

His only down side is he is brilliant at opening doors. He keeps escaping. And after 40 years of not having to bolt our front door when we are home, we can’t seem to retrain ourselves to bolt the door. (Something about old dogs and new tricks.) And our neighbors (who thought it was funny at first, but have since lost their sense of humor) have called animal control on us because he can open their front doors, too.

I don’t blame them for being mad!

We have a lever-style door handle. If you have a nob-style you would probably be fine.
    He honestly really is a nice dog.
    we live in central VA

please PM me if you are interested!

2. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Your dog sounds so funny! I can not imagine having someones dog open my dog and trot in.

I hope you are able to find him a good home.Lol,my one older dog still raids the bathroom waste can. Best wishes!

3. pysankigirl

pysankigirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2012
    Virginia
    yeah, well what about opens the door at 3am, comes in your bedroom and jumps in bed with you[​IMG]

that guy was not pleasant when he called us...and I dont blame hum!

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  4. Ranitameya

Ranitameya Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2013
    Can't you change your doorknobs?

5. dlongterry

dlongterry Out Of The Brooder

Too Funny, My neighbors dog does the same thing....first time it happen it scared me nearly to death. He is a Bloodhound 125 lbs and I was taking a nap on the couch and he jumped up on me. We don't mind him, but I am a dog trainer so I love dogs. We pretty much share him now :)

6. Going Bhonkers

Going Bhonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    SW Florida
    What a story!! I hope you're able to find a solution soon!

7. canesisters

canesisters Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2011
    Virginia
    [​IMG] I have ALWAYS wanted a dane.... but I am maxed out in the dog department right now....

8. bb1372

bb1372 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2008
    Why don`t you just replace the doorknobs? An inexpensive solution.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by