Chicken friendly townships in Pennsylvania?!

Silly_Chickens87

In the Brooder
Jan 20, 2023
Hello everyone! We are looking to purchase a home in PA, most likely looking in the York, and Adams County areas. Even though this is farming country I soon realized that a lot of these townships arent chicken friendly... I had called a township because we were driving around and saw a house and noticed people on the block had chickens and this house had 2.5 acres but they said nope , you must have 3 acres. So I started looking into different areas and noticing a lot of these townships aren't chicken friendly. Also, finding which township homes are in is a pain lol and forget about looking for ordinances they are hard to figure out too. So my question is, what Townships do you live in that are chicken friendly or know of that are chicken friendly? Thank you 😊

I'm in central county, Halfmoon township. You can have any animal you want, chicken, duck, goat, etc. No acreage requirements. We are allow to have roosters too, but I'm not sure about the noise problem, so I just not keep any roo.

@SimYA0126 Thank you!! Its just so confusing because there are so many townships in York County , Like each town has several townships and each township has its own set of rules for chickens/roosters ...what is expected and the amount of land you need. What part of PA are you in? :)
I'm in Chester county, the rural area. Out of six houses on my road only two houses don't have chickens 😂

Hello everyone! We are looking to purchase a home in PA, most likely looking in the York, and Adams County areas. Even though this is farming country I soon realized that a lot of these townships arent chicken friendly... I had called a township because we were driving around and saw a house and noticed people on the block had chickens and this house had 2.5 acres but they said nope , you must have 3 acres. So I started looking into different areas and noticing a lot of these townships aren't chicken friendly. Also, finding which township homes are in is a pain lol and forget about looking for ordinances they are hard to figure out too. So my question is, what Townships do you live in that are chicken friendly or know of that are chicken friendly? Thank you 😊
I know you mentioned york and adams county but if you're open to other areas, western PA - especially Armstrong County, South Buffalo Twp where I live is really quite nice and is still pretty rural (chickens, goats, sheep, cows, geese, ducks, horses etc = no problem) but not that far of a drive to larger towns and Pittsburgh. Weather isn't usually that bad and I think the people are pretty nice too. Good school system from what I hear.

I know you mentioned york and adams county but if you're open to other areas, western PA - especially Armstrong County, South Buffalo Twp where I live is really quite nice and is still pretty rural (chickens, goats, sheep, cows, geese, ducks, horses etc = no problem) but not that far of a drive to larger towns and Pittsburgh. Weather isn't usually that bad and I think the people are pretty nice too. Good school system from what I hear.
awwww thank you for the response :) That is awesome. I have seen some nice houses like near State College , one i fell in love with . lol The weather is very weird this year on this side of PA, lol thank you again!!!

Back
Top Bottom