Chicken fun in the run

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by redstars, Dec 12, 2009.

1. redstars

redstars Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2009
    south dartmouth ma
    Today I threw some Leaves in the run, They went nuts. With everything being frozen solid they loved it.
    Does anyone else add stuff to the run in the winter?

2. SoCalChick

SoCalChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Valley Center, CA
    I put a large flake of alfalfa in their run - they LOVE pulling it apart and the alfalfa leaves are yummy too!

3. hollyk

hollyk Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2008
    Canton, Texas
    I rake up leaves and old hay and dump in the run. It is amazing how fast they can shread those leaves. Our ground doesn't freeze where I live. Wouldn't know what to think if that happened. I like the alfalfa flake idea. Also, I dried sunflowers and broom corn in bundles during the summer and I hang those up in the winter. They have really enjoyed pecking at those.[​IMG]

4. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Yep, I put flecks of bermuda hay on the floor, & they LOVE to scratch it up & eat it.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

5. redstars

Mar 15, 2009
    south dartmouth ma
    Anyone ever have problems with putting hay in the run?
    I thought I read something on here about hay and impacted crops?

6. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    I have read a lot about hay and impacted crops also, but so many here allow them to have hay, I had to give it a try. I am making sure they have other food available at all times, and lots of grit. They really do seem to enjoy it and alfalfa is good for them. Plus I love the smell of it! [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  7. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

The only hay I put in my chickens run is alfalfa because they will pick out the leaves and leave the stems. Any other fine stemmed or grassy hay they seem to end up swallowing to much long stuff and can get impacted.

8. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    Thanks for that info, cafarmgirl, I will only feed my hens alfalfa, and report back if there are any problems. Good thing--I just bought a whole bale of it!

9. redstars

Mar 15, 2009
    south dartmouth ma
    Quote:I wanted to put some alfalfa in the run but I wasn't shure if I should.
    Now I'm gonna. It does smell yummy, They are gonna love it.

10. SC_Hugh

SC_Hugh Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Leaves are fun for them to scratch around in, they were a little afraid at first because the leaves were over a foot high...all fluffed up. My alpha hen went right in, but it took the others a few hours to venture in, Ricky went in a few days later [​IMG]

Now that the leaves are torn up, I will rake that out, level the ground and then throw another bunch of leaves in there. Right now, I have multiple bags of leaves dry and ready to dispense.

Throw some scratch into the leaves and watch them go wild...

--Hugh

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by