Chicken gaping mouth

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kobelnykmichele, Apr 4, 2017.

1. kobelnykmichele

kobelnykmichele Just Hatched

Apr 4, 2017
    My hen is approximately 6 months old, found her in the coop on the floor unable to move much and acting like she's gasping for air but she doesn't sound like she's having trouble breathing. No abnormal poop was fine yesterday. Gave her water with electrolytes with a syringe and seemed to perk her up. No poop butt either, she seems overly warm too.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. Is it hot where you live or is she overweight? Does she have any nasal or eye drainage? Is she sneezing? Can you open her beak and look into her beak and throat with a flashlight for a foreign object or any abnormal growths. Offer her some chopped egg along with her feed and electrolyte water.

3. kobelnykmichele

kobelnykmichele Just Hatched

Apr 4, 2017
    We're in Alaska so warm temp is 40f right now, and she's not overweight. I did do the flashlight thing and checked her crop and couldn't feel anything. We decided to cull her cause she got to where she couldn't get her feet under her at all and was flopping around. I'm just hopping it's nothing thay was contagious.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by