Chicken Garden? Anyone have experience?

farmguy2007

Chirping
11 Years
Dec 31, 2012
Indianapolis,Indiana
Was hoping this spring to start a nice sized garden just for the chickens to rumage through..lol I was wondering if anyone has experience with this.. Im in Indy so im a zone 5b would like to have some stuff that would come back but not a must anyone have suggestions or ideas??

I haven't grown a chicken garden per se, but I seed their pasture each spring. There are a few Chicken/Poultry Pasture Seed available. I've always gotten good results from Sandhill Preservations' Spring Brooder Mix.

http://www.sandhillpreservation.com/catalog/specialty.html

It's about half way down the page along with some other plants worth considering growing in your garden. Just be prepared to have your garden off limits for the first 6-8 weeks until eveything is well rooted and has taken off.
Good Luck.

Is millet something that is feasible though to grow?? Do you have experience with growing it? I know clover is easy but im looking for sustainability as well.

Yes I have grown millet- I just planted birdseed. The wild birds do come around and take some too. The chickens just trample it and peck the grains off...no harvesting necessary for you. If you shake the stems the millet comes off when ready to harvest.

Back
Top Bottom