Chicken + Garden = No tomatoes

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by AndersonFolk, Sep 12, 2011.

1. AndersonFolk

AndersonFolk Out Of The Brooder

Around April I finally gave and let my wife get some chicks... a few I said, now there are 12 (was 15, RIP to 2 from cross beak and one to a hawk) Anyway, my wife goes to tell me, "oh honey, they'll be great for the garden, they will keep bugs out".

For those of you whom have a garden, do your chicks egg your tomatoes??! LOL, our girls wear those poor red tomatoes out!!!! Also, is it bad for them to eat watermelon? Recently I cut a watermelon open and oh my lord, they went on a feeding frenzy!!! It is so fun to watch them it and them shack their heads back in forth from getting juice all over their head.

2. cravenchx

cravenchx Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    Piedmont of NC
    Mine don't free range, however,
    I will throw tomatoes to them and
    watermelon. They love them both!

3. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I have not let them by the tomatoes,but I love watching them hop to get the grapes!

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    As long as the watermelon is from your garden, it is perfectly fine. The rind especially is the most concentrated area, filled with loads of important minerals, vitamins, and nutrients. [​IMG]

As for tomatoes - I grow mine in a greenhouse and wouldn't trust any Nightshade around my chickens. I free range my girls, but technically, they're penned up in a 3 acre pasture [​IMG] Away from most of the gardens. They get their share though!

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I fence my gardens in from the chickens or we would have nothing to eat from the garden. I tell the chickens it is for their own good, or else we'd have to eat them.

6. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    If I'm carrying a tomato in my hand, my chickens will take my hand off. They absolutely love tomatoes and watermelon.

7. babychickens

babychickens Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2011
    I think they love the tomatoes and watermelon both. They are lovely.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by