Chicken gasping for Air

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jbznem, Sep 1, 2016.

1. jbznem

jbznem New Egg

Aug 27, 2016
    Magnolia, TX
    I have a rooster who's is almost 6 months old who is ill. I observed that he never really has crowed like the others. He always sounded hoarse. Like I imagine a rooster with laryngitis would sound. I didn't think much of it until today.
    I went out to feed everyone. The roosters all came running up to me like they usually do, except Wyatt. When I got closer to him I noticed he looked awful! his comb has gone from a beautiful bright red to a dull purplish red. his eyes look off as well. Almost a little bug eyed. He has no nasal discharge but he is gasping for air. When he takes a breath he stretches his neck and and opens his mouth and gasps. He sounds a little rattly. He didn't seem very interested in food this morning. He is currently separated from everyone in case he's contagious. I gave him water but haven't seen him drink any yet. Grant you, i'm not watching him constantly.

What on earth am I dealing with?!

2. jbznem

jbznem New Egg

Aug 27, 2016
    Magnolia, TX
    Nevermind. He just passed :(
    That was so sudden I didn't even get the chance to at least TRY and save him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by