Chicken gasping for breath and caughing

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Gribby, Jan 27, 2017.

1. Gribby

Gribby New Egg

Mar 9, 2016
    I have a 2 year old amber sexlink that is wheezing. She seems to be caughing every time she eats or gets excited. Other than that she is acting normal. There is no discharge coming from her nose and she doesn't seem to be getting any better or worse with treatment. We have tried apple cider vinegar in her water and have used oxine AH in a vaporizer. I can't see anything in her throat and have given her olive oil in case something is stuck. This has been going on for about a week and I am running out of ideas. Please help.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. Without nasal discharge or eye drainage, she could be wheezing from mold fungus or possibly, the dust in the coop or her feed. Wheezing can also be a sign of a heart problem, or something stuck in her airway, such as a piece of food or even mucus secretions. I would not use oil, since it can be choked on and make things worse. You might try adding some water to her food, or using pellets. The Oxine might be helpful if it is a fungal problem. Is her comb red? Does she lay eggs, and does she have any tightness or fullness in her lower belly? Do you have a vet who might see her?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
  3. Gribby

Gribby New Egg

Mar 9, 2016
    Her comb is normal and she is not back to laying yet. I have not felt any tightness in her belly.

4. Leihamarie

Leihamarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2016
    San Diego
    is there rattling in the wheeze when she breathes? Also, is she extending her neck with her beak open? What do her droppings look like?

When was the last time she was wormed and what did you use?

5. Gribby

Gribby New Egg

Mar 9, 2016
    I don't hear any rattling. She occasionally extends her neck and opens her mouth, but only occasionally. Her droppings look pretty normal except they are a greenish color. We use pumpkin to deworm. The last time was early November.

6. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

How does her crop feel? Is it hard or spongy? Empty or full?

I am wondering if it could not be crop related .. extending her neck and opening her mouth are also symptoms of impacted or sour crop. The green poop [if brightish] could be a sign of starving which she could be if she has had crop issues for a week.

Is she still eating the same as she usually would?

7. Leihamarie

Leihamarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2016
    San Diego
    grass clippings can make the droppings green and it doesn't sound like it's gapeworm. It may be as @Eggcessive suggested. Are you able to get her into a poultry vet?

8. Gribby

Gribby New Egg

Mar 9, 2016
    She is still eating and drinking and that seems like when she really gets choked up. I put some grit in the infirmary with her and she gobbled it up. Her crop feels normal. It is definitely not sour crop

9. Gribby

Gribby New Egg

Mar 9, 2016
    It is definitely not excessive grass clippings since everything is under a foot or more of snow. Unfortunately there isn't a poultry vet in the area.

10. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

Cool!

I do hope that you are able to determine what it is and she is back to her healthy self very soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by