chicken gasping for breath HELP!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by carolina chicky, May 2, 2009.

1. carolina chicky

carolina chicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    South Carolina
    Tonight I went out to check on the chickens one more time when I discovered that my 7 week old Rooster (which I took from a commercial poultry farm) is gasping for air. He is breathing so hard you can hear him and he keeps laying his head down. Otherwise he acts fine. He is large for a chicken his age but I am reducing his feed to try and help him lose some weight. I am worried that he won't make it...what can I do?
    I brought him inside and he's still gasping for air and burying his head in the towel he is laying on. He's still walking around and pecking at things like normal but the breathing is bad. He is drinking a lot too.

Last edited: May 3, 2009
  2. KyleD.

KyleD. Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2009
    south carolina
    Its a cornish X, From what i read they are infamous for heart attacks caused by their quick growth rate. I think experts correct me? I dont know what you can do for the gasping, sorry.

3. carolina chicky

Apr 1, 2009
    South Carolina
    Yes, he has grown very very fast which worries me. I have him inside and he is drinking a lot of water and still breathing harder and harder. He is also stretching his feet out and raising his wings a lot. It's cooler inside so I don't think he's hot. I am very worried because he is my favorite of all my flock (also the sweetest). Thanks

4. Glenda L Heywood

Glenda L Heywood Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    the gasping denotes cronic heart failure
    and this is the routine tommorrow
    I would take him off feed til 2pm and then allow him to eat
    then if better the next day he could be fed at 5AM and 2PM and no more
    try and keep him in a quite place
    asllow him water of course

he filling up with water around the heart from over eating
    they need cut back at 4 weeks to this treatment
    hope you can save him

5. carolina chicky

Apr 1, 2009
    South Carolina
    Is there anything I can do to help him tonight? He seems to be suffering.

6. Glenda L Heywood

Glenda L Heywood Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    I guess you could give him a childs asprin
    but there is nothing this far into the problem to make a miracle
    but the asprin could slow down some of the pain
    you can email me PM for any more help

go to
    http://www.google.com
    put in
    ascities or waterbelly
    as that is what he has

7. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    If it were me, I'd just process him ASAP. When I care for my Cornish X in the morning and evening I check to see if anyone is having trouble breathing or walking or anything else. If they do it's off with their head and into the freezer right then. Saves me a lot of grief. Not sure about the chickens.

8. carolina chicky

Apr 1, 2009
    South Carolina
    I guess you are right but I can't bear to do that to him. He is such a sweet chicken. But I don't want him to suffer anymore either :-(

9. ZepChick

ZepChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    coos bay OR
    i am so sorry, i hope he gets better. I am glad you isolated him just in case he has a communicable illness. keep him comfortable, he for sure doesn't have anything stuck in his mouth/throat?

10. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    I understand where you are coming from. They are sweet chickens. I tried to keep some Cornish X as pets once. I didn't know any better. It was an exercise in futility. Stressful on me and the chickens both.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by