Chicken gasping

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by angela27, Oct 26, 2016.

1. angela27

angela27 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2016
    Laidley
    I have a little Belgian bantam. In the last month or so, I have noticed occasional times where she seems to have difficulty breathing. I took her to the vet the first time, only to be told she was completely healthy and may have just had some food blocking her airway. But she's had other moments since then where she seems to be gasping. It generally seems to only occur in the evening/night. During the day she is her normal self, eating and drinking fine, very lively personality. I've been told it's a respiratory condition by an acquaintance who keeps chickens, but is there something else it could be? I just wanna make sure I'm not missing anything...
    The weather lately has been warm during the day but often significantly cooler at night. Her condition kind of reminds me of myself with asthma... she's not sneezing or coughing, though she did have a couple of days of that a week or so ago. She really seems okay otherwise...

2. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper Premium Member

Nov 3, 2010
    Could be a respiratory issue that has not flared up to become severe or it could be gapeworm. Could also be an allergy although I doubt that as it isn't affecting her all the time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by