Chicken Gender Age

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chases317, Sep 15, 2009.

1. chases317

chases317 New Egg

Sep 15, 2009
    What is the age when you can get a good estimate at the gender?

2. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    Depending on the breed, it's anywhere from 2 weeks to six months. I can tell my male bantam cochins by 3 weeks every time. Single-combed birds often grow larger, redder combs by 6 weeks and are obvious by then, but not always. Rosecomb birds are often harder to tell. By 12 weeks, you should start seeing secondary sex characteristics, like pointed hackle and saddle feathers.

OH and welcome to BYC!!

Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
  3. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    Agreed. We can tell with the leghorns by two weeks but some of the others are much harder to tell...peacombs are the hardest to tell and often it's just easier to wait for the feathers.
    Some breeds feather sex and it is pretty accurate for the first 3 days.

4. hensplease

hensplease Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2009
    san diego
    you can tell the se links the day there born

5. chases317

chases317 New Egg

Sep 15, 2009
    They're a RIR mix, so I don't know what that means as far as being able to tell the sex. The breeder called them EE's and they're black if that helps anyone. What are some things I should be looking for, if they're only a week old, for gender characteristics?

6. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    Quote:Chase if this is you, the black ones are maran/ee mixes. The 2 larger dark red ones are RIR and Daisy was a production red

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by