Chicken Genetics

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by MrsRevDr, May 14, 2011.

1. MrsRevDr

MrsRevDr Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2011
    I bought my 10 chicks from a local I know they all have the same father and I assume at least some have the same mother, I was planning on keeping 1 roo, now I've started to wonder should I get rid of them all and get a roo from another gene pool??? Does it matter with chickens? Would the new Roo have to be the same age as the hens?

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    YOu are fine. You can inbreed them (something like) 25 times before you have issues. Avians are not like mammals.

3. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Respectfully, inbreeding does result in problems; the purpose of planned breedings is to minimize inbreeding in a flock. If you search out reputable sources like the ALBC you will find methods of breeding; roosters do need replacing, the method you choose will dictate how and why they are replaced. Heavy inbreeding requires heavy culling because abnormalities will show up.It's really worth researching the breeding methods and find the one that suits your circumstances.

4. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    My Dh is a chicken genetics nut, per him the number of times you can inbreed a line is very random. It depends on how many genetic issues the line has to begin with. Sibling to sibling cross is to be avoided, parent to offspring cross is slightly better. If you really want to have decent birds get an unrelated roo and replace him every few years with another roo. How often depends on how much breeding you're doing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by