chicken gets into a frenzy

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ufgrad98, Oct 18, 2011.

1. ufgrad98

ufgrad98 Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2011
    My BO just started laying eggs on Saturday. Each day, she gets herself into quite a frenzy before laying that egg. She yells like crazy, runs around the coop, all the other birds go nuts. She basically freaks out for a couple of hours (she tried escaping the coop at one point). Then, she lays her egg, and everything quiets down. Is this normal?? Will she always be like this or is it just because she is new to laying? Its very stressful to watch...

2. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    I hope for your sake that she calms down.

A lot of hens will squawk a lot before laying, but mine have never run around like crazy people or anything. They just let us know it's happening and get back to chicken business.

3. LT

LT Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2011
    West Fork
    Mine did that for about a week right before they first started laying and a few days after that. Once they understand what is happening inside their bodies, they should calm down. One of my EE's goes in the nest box, lays her egg, and then comes right out to join the others and never makes a sound. Another girl, a Golden Comet, lets the whole valley know she has laid an egg. But the anxiousness before egg laying has diminished considerably.

4. BarnGoddess01

BarnGoddess01 I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

Quote:I have a couple of newly laying pullets doing this right now. My advice - don't watch!! [​IMG] Go in the house. Turn the music up LOUD!

(Like you, I hope this behaviour stops - SOON!)

5. This_chicks_place

This_chicks_place Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Upstate NY
    My girls started laying in July, and they all did that when they first started. I think they were all afraid and unsure of what was happening to their teenage little bodies. [​IMG] They got over it quick, maybe a week or two. Now they all do their thing and only two announce it with the egg song! But the rooster joins in with one of them, that can get pretty loud! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by