chicken getting picked on?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jcskowronek, Jun 24, 2016.

1. jcskowronek

jcskowronek Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2016
    decatur, ga
    i just moved my chickens out into the coop today, there are 10 rhode island reds (all females I'm pretty sure) and 4 silkies (i think 3 females, maybe one rooster?) and on of the rhode island reds feathers look kind of ruffled, more than i would expect. is this normal or is she being picked on? she's the same age as 7 of the other rhode island reds and the same size. i first noticed it a couple weeks ago while they were still inside (we just finished renovating the coop) here are some pictures, sorry theyre not very good. thanks

[​IMG]here its the one of the waterer stand

[​IMG]shades in the waterer stand here too

[​IMG]now she's in the upper left

[​IMG]heres the view from behind

2. Peeps61

Peeps61 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2014
    NW Florida
    She does look like she's been pecked at. Have you actually seen any of the other birds doing this? If not, you might have other issues, such as mites, etc.

3. jcskowronek

Apr 24, 2016
    decatur, ga
    Quote:
    i haven't seen anybody actually doing it. I'm going to put diatomaceous earth on them, would that help if she does have mites? I've gotten weird bites that look like flea bites around my ankles recently, maybe those are mites. i know for a fact none of my indoor animals have fleas, etc.

thanks!

4. Peeps61

Apr 19, 2014
    NW Florida
    Sounds like a plan! Let us know what you find out :).

5. jcskowronek

Apr 24, 2016
    decatur, ga
    i have an update!
    i put the diatematious earth on all of them, and the one i was worried about is getting a lot better!! the feathers are coming back in, and she looks a lot better. thanks for the help!

julia

6. Peeps61

Apr 19, 2014
    NW Florida
    That's what we are all here for! I ask questions and share issues all the time on this site. There are some great folks here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by