Chicken getting skinny and losing feathers.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Serphs, Dec 7, 2017.

1. Serphs

Serphs In the Brooder

Sep 1, 2017
    For the past few weeks, around the start of winter, one of my chickens havlife been getting a little skinny. She is smaller than her other sister, she also seems to be losing feathers. Today she didn't come out of the coop, and I've seen her shivering.

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Making Coffee

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    How old are your birds? Sounds like she is molting.

3. AMERAUCANAS4REAL

AMERAUCANAS4REAL Free Ranging

Nov 8, 2017
    Upper Midwest
    My Coop
    I agree. They do that when they molt. Need an age, however.

4. Sunshine Flock

Sunshine Flock Crowing

Sep 27, 2017
    Northern California
    This is my first time with molting chickens. It's been an unsettling experience as I've swung from wondering if they're all dying, to realizing they're molting; hence lower energy, massive loss of feathers, and no eggs whatsoever.

I hope that's what she's experiencing.

oldhenlikesdogs likes this.
  5. Serphs

Serphs In the Brooder

Sep 1, 2017
    Our chickens are around 7 months old. We originally thought that they were molting, but we ignored it because we thought they were a little young to molt? Also it's getting very cold. We have dogs that only shed in summer, we though chickens only molted then.

6. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Chickens will molt in the fall. At 7 months they are a bit young for an adult molt. Do you see anyone pulling her feathers out of harassing her? It still could be a molt though. Do your birds get any extra lighting? I have a few that are still molting. It's cold here, they will be a bit cold but they will be okay.

7. Serphs

Serphs In the Brooder

Sep 1, 2017
    Actually we miscounted the months. our chickens are actually 9 1/2 years old, we didn't look close enough to see if she molted in fall, just that we got worried at how skinny and lack of feathers she had, because this is our first year and we aren't very experienced.

8. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I will assume you meant months not years? Some people do see them going through a molt at that age. The molt isn't quite over yet. A few of mine are still working on it. Generally they do it between August and December.

9. alexa009

alexa009 Free Ranging

Apr 6, 2017
    Texas
    My Coop
    I am not quite sure the answer of your problem but my buff orpington had the same exact problem last December. She wouldn't come out of the coop was losing feathers and getting really skinny. Not to mention her comb started turning blue and was acting really strange. A possum killed her a s week later though. So I am not sure if she would of been Ok.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: