1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken gifts, who gets too many?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by chickenshagg, Jan 29, 2011.

1. chickenshagg

chickenshagg THE ALPHA ROO

Apr 18, 2009
    St. Charles, MO
    Since I started keeping chickens my family and friends are always giving me chicken gifts. I have gotten a rooster statue, coffee mugs, cutting board, calendars, framed pictures, and I even had a chicken photo on my B-Day cake. Don't get me wrong, I do appreciate the gifts and some of them are cool but I don't want everything in my house to be chicken theme. Recently for my birthday my parents gave me a couple of framed photos of some roosters. The smaller one is not so bad but the larger one is horrible. It has three roosters standing together by a clump of grass that has several eggs in it. Plus the roosters look like they are going to Mardi Gras or a masked party. Their heads looks as though their wattles and combs have grown together and are now covering their whole head. Before I even saw these photos my mother made me promise her that I would hang them somewhere that they will be seen.
    This is the reason why I hate getting gifts from anyone! They have put time, thought, and money into something for me that I don't want. And I feel bad for that.

Does anybody else have this problem or feel this way?

2. BeardedLadyFarm

BeardedLadyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    Ha ha ha. I agree!

I hate STUFF. I have a small house, an no place for this junk. YET, mugs, plates, framed artwork, chenille throws, egg baskets, painted buckets, etc have all found their way to me. If it wasn't hand made or crafted, I give it/ throw it away! I have plenty of real chickens to look at. I don't need need more.

I with you!

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I have the unfortunate luck of things falling off the counter and being irreparably broken, or the cats tearing things up, or being stolen from the yard.

Imp- such a tragedy [​IMG]

4. BeardedLadyFarm

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    Want to know what to give a chicken person? A gift card to the feed store.

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    No such thing as too many chicken knick knacks, says the woman that's trying to drive her husband insane. [​IMG]

6. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

What is this 'too many' you speak of? I've never heard of it. [​IMG]

7. BeardedLadyFarm

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    Quote:Send me your address. I'll start a box for you [​IMG]

Just kidding. I try to pawn a bunch of it off on some local 4H kids. They can sell it at silent auctions they have to raise money for their programs.

8. TinkleTurkey

TinkleTurkey Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Palmdale
    I don't like knick knacks. Takes longer to clean my house, having to dust around all that clutter. Takes valuable time away from my flock. [​IMG]

You could sell your junk on craigslist/ebay and use the money to buy more kachickers. Win-Win.

Also, chicken photo on your birthday cake? What, you mean you didn't want that? lol hahahahaha ohhh sorry
    [​IMG]
    Maybe this is your fault, in a way -be ing punished for not spending enough time with your family. They don't know you well enough to think you aren't entirely defined by your chickens.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2011
  9. dipence71

dipence71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Murrayville, IL
    Quote:[​IMG] x2

10. dipence71

dipence71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Murrayville, IL
    Quote:hang them in the coop where the chickens will see them everyday LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by