Chicken girl is getting quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by FlChickenMama, Jul 27, 2016.

1. FlChickenMama

FlChickenMama Just Hatched

Jul 26, 2016
    Central FL
    Hey everyone,

I will be getting my first bobwhites in just a few days. they will be a week old. I've read through the entire quail section in the learning center and several threads. I know I am probably over thinking everything, but I want to be prepared. So anyway before I rabbit trail I cant seem to find starter in my area over 24% it is game bird crumbles, but I read it needs to be closer to 26-30%.
    Where are you getting yours?
    Can I use this temporarily until I find a better one?
    How long are they on starter?

I will probably have more questions but this is a good start.

2. DK newbie

DK newbie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2015
    With regards to feed, I've learned on here that bobwhites just get fat if you give them as much protein as you would give a coturnix, which is usually 26-30%. I think someone said someting like 20-22-ish% for bobwhites. I don't remember whether this was for grown birds though - chicks might need more. But in any case, my button quail - which also belong to the group people usually suggest to give 25+% protein - are rearing chicks again and again on a 24.4% game bird starter without any issues, so even if the bobwhite chicks need more protein than the numbers I almost remember, I think 24% will be plenty.

3. FlChickenMama

Jul 26, 2016
    Central FL
    DK Newbie, Thank you I was hoping it would be ok. The only thing can find on Amazon is $35+

4. eHuman

eHuman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2016
    Tractor Supply carries 30% Purina gamebird feed. Check with local feed stores and ask if they can order it from one of their existing suppliers to avoid shipping charges.

5. FlChickenMama

Jul 26, 2016
    Central FL
    Awesome I have 3 feed stores to choose from so I'm sure one of them will be able to order in something :) Do you know how long to keep them on starter? 16 weeks? I don't want to order 30+lbs if they only need it for a short time.

6. FlChickenMama

Jul 26, 2016
    Central FL
    So I struck out and ended up with 24% protein chick starter. I found some protein powders at the pet store made for birds it is 13.5%. I also wonder if I should be mixing in any type of grit or seeds for them? I like to spoil my animals. Has anyone used those seed blocks for quail?

Lot of questions I know. I am becoming obsessed haha

7. FlChickenMama

Jul 26, 2016
    Central FL
    Oh forgot to add I got some small toys, cuddle bones and millet [​IMG]I have an infrared bulb on the way from amazon, the cheapest here was $22. A red light will have to do for now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by