Chicken/Goat house

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by AussieAcres, Sep 28, 2010.

1. AussieAcres

AussieAcres Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2009
    I am toying with the idea of building a medium sized out building that will be a goat house/milking barn. I am wondering of any complications of butting a new chicken coop up to one side of said barn so they can share a common wall and cut some materiel cost?? Anyone have any experience, or insight? you know what they say, 351 heads are better than one!!

2. yomama

yomama Overrun With Chickens

I have read on here numerous times how some member's chickens actually roost and prefer to stay in the goat house. I would say that it should be fine, as long as your goats can't destroy the chicken house and cannot get into the chicken food. My goats and chickens get along great, but the goats are not allowed access to the chicken area. And goats LOVE chicken food. My goats escaped and knocked over my chicken feed barrel, eating half a 20lbs bag of layer feed and almost all their cracked corn! I was not happy to come home from vacation to see that!!!! I'm lucky none of them bloated. My goats, as are many, can be destructive, so just make sure that their isn't anything they can destroy. But as for getting along, I would imagine they would be fine.
    Good luck!

3. ohiofarmgirl

ohiofarmgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2009
    my goat house shares a common wall with the hen house.. but i have a gate/fence between the two so the goats cant get into the hen side.

yomama is just right, goats will do just about anything to get chicken food, scratch, etc.. and it can be toxic to goats. i once saw a mini goat do a 5 ft flying leap into the hen house to get feed.

goats = crazy.

but the way we have ours set up works out just fine. the hens hang out in the goat yard and everyone gets along fine.

good luck!
    :)

4. AussieAcres

AussieAcres Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2009
    Thank you for the responses. I plan on sharing a common wall, but not having any sort of pass through access. Each side will have their own access doorway. The goats would have to chew their way through the wall to get at the feed (which I would not put past a goat to do). I was just unsure of any natural cohabitation problems with either being so close.

5. j'aime mes poules

j'aime mes poules Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2010
    New York
    I have 15 chickens and 2 goats and they share some space toguether, they get along pretty well... as long as the goats don't have acces to the chicken food, because they will eat it all!!!

The good thing about having goats with chickens is that they dont contaminate each other and spread sikness.

enjoy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by