Chicken Goes inside house before laying an egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lovelyletty7, May 1, 2017.

1. lovelyletty7

lovelyletty7 New Egg

Sep 6, 2016
    Hey everyone!!
    I have a leghorn who has been laying for about 4 months now. I sometimes leave the back door open and she comes inside and finds a corner and will start to scratch at the carpet. She just started to do this recently and she doesn't do it every day because I'm usually not home during the day. When she's good and satisfied she will go outside in the coop and lay her egg. Is this normal?

2. emmaellis111

emmaellis111 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2015
    shropshire UK
    She's just trying to find a nice comfortable place to lay an egg. I would say it's normal lol x

3. lovelyletty7

lovelyletty7 New Egg

Sep 6, 2016
    And before laying her egg she is very vocal... She worries me. She seems stressed I don't think she likes to lay eggs. LoL. My silkies don't seem to have any funny behaviors. The day before she was egg bound so we had to help her out with that.

4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Leghorns lay larger eggs for the size of the bird compared to silkies, so it's a bit more uncomfortable. I assume there must be some cramping and a feeling of pressure. It's similar to other species when they give birth. Younger animals aren't fully grown, and things aren't stretched out as much so it's a bigger production for a young hen to lay as opposed to an older hen.

5. lovelyletty7

lovelyletty7 New Egg

Sep 6, 2016
    Thank you so much for the reply. Im new to chicken keeping. Is there anything I can do to make the process easier for her?

6. emmaellis111

emmaellis111 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2015
    shropshire UK
    Nope there is nothing you can do. After time she will stretch and will become more easier for her. But There isnt anything you can do x

7. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    For most hens it gets easier the longer they lay. By their second season most lay easily and more quickly than they did the first season.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by