Chicken going down?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by j71, Jun 23, 2011.

1. j71

j71 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2009
    Hello, Long time....hope everyones birds are dandy!

so, recently one of my 5 RIR's has been acting weird....weird as in she cant walk well...seems kinda 'drunk'....doesnt seem to interested in 'roosting' and my guess is thats because its too hard for her to jump up....although, she and the others were doing just fine for the past almost 2yrs now....when I let them out of the coop around 6pm every night she makes it out but then pretty much finds a spot and gets comfy.....almost like shes taking a dust bath.....lay'd out on herside and stuff.....

she is not getting picked/pecked on...has full feathers.....but I am certain something is not right with her.....

suggestions or idea's?

I dont want to be pre-mature here and have her laid to rest....cuz I like my birds....

help....?

2. j71

j71 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2009
    ps...just thought I would add....

its like she went from being 12 to 72 overnight...if that makes any sense??

walking like an old bird.....

3. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Check her feet really well....or maybe she pulled a tendon or something?

4. j71

j71 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2009
    Quote:TY!

I did a quick look over and she seems fine....not sure what to do but I def do not want to see her 'suffer' but I have no idea if she is or not.

5. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Is she still laying eggs?

6. ReikiStar

ReikiStar Chillin' With My Peeps

I always feel like the Angel of Death for bringing this up for consideration, but have you compared her symptoms to those of Mareks? Most things about the chicken seem normal except they can't stand/walk/keep upright, though eventually they will start to go down hill because they can't eat or drink on their own. That would be the neurological version of it. They don't have to have the classic "split" to have it.

7. j71

j71 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2009
    TY All again!

Its kinda weird all around....it seems like about 3mo ago....march time frame egg production all around went way downhill.....even thru the winter eggs were more readily available.....then now.

all birds are the same age...about 2yrs old now

5 birds total...at one time I rec'd 4-5 nice eggs per day

then it was down to 3-4 eggs...

and most recently I get 1egg a day...sometimes2, sometimes none!....with 5 girls....

they were vaccinated for mearks......apparently.....

appreciate the feedback...I am hoping she comes back around.....

8. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    How is her abdomen? Could she be egg bound? Just trying to help you figure this out....

9. ReikiStar

ReikiStar Chillin' With My Peeps

Have they gone through any stress like a predator attack or even something as simply seeing a hawk overhead? Did they go through anything back in March? Has their feed changed? Is it hot where you are now? Could she have eaten something poisonous or not meant for chickens?

Sorry for the 20 questions...just so many things to consider.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by