Chicken going in the oven soon!

butchcass

Hatching
Feb 25, 2015

Hi all,

Can I start by saying hello to everyone here.

I have a bit of a problem. I acquired two chickens from a friend who no longer had time for them and another four from a local family who were selling them on line about 4/5 months ago.

The two got from my friend were aged 2 years old (small brown) and 1 1/2 (white) years old and were laying every few day (apparently).

The four I bought were of mixed ages, one was 2 years old (Large brown), one was 7 months (Grey), and two were 4 months (Black silkies?)

They all live together in a coop I built which is 2.5m squared and they have 2 houses to choose from. 1 X converted rabbit hutch and 1 X chicken house with enough space for roughly 4 chickens.

The boss is the large brown who will not allow any of the others to roost on the perch within the house so the rest of the gang will bunch up together with one of the silkies or the other brown taking it in turns to have a bit of peace and quite on their own in the hutch...

They are fed on layers pellets and love a bit of leftovers whenever they get them, and always have fresh water available. Over the past 4 months they have all been allowed to roam free within a large garden but are now confined to the coop (if the wind decides not to blow the door open!!) as they have taken to ruin the patio table, chairs and back door mat!

My problem is that since I have had the girls I have not had one egg! I put this down (at first) to the stress of the move, having to settle in to a new environment and the winter weather, but now that we are getting over the worst of winter and they have been here for a fair few months I was expecting them to pay their digs!

I have attached some pics for you guys to see what I have set up.

I have done a bit of research my self and I think I've ruled out a few things. I don't think they are laying anywhere else as they have confined to their coop, I don't think I have an egg eater as their is no debris anywhere, and no predators are getting in to the coop.

So,,, where are me eggs?!?!

welcome-byc.gif
Your hens will lay - as a matter of fact the buff Columbian colored hen looks ready to start. The initial stop in egg laying was most likely caused by the move - then the shortened day length had an impact. Understand that none of the birds that you have appear to be from 'production' breeds. They will lay, but not like some of the birds bred for egg production. If eggs are your primary goal, you might want to consider some sex links or leghorns.

Back
Top Bottom