Chicken Gone Broody

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ALRwild, Feb 8, 2012.

1. ALRwild

ALRwild Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Idaho
    My poor hen went broody today with three unfertilized eggs (I don't have a rooster). She was sitting on the all day so we thought she was egg bound, so we decided to take her inside to give her a bath. This was not the case. She began screeching really loudly and my mom saw that there were three eggs she was sitting on. They were steaming hot. She was trying to be a good mommy. :'( My question is what I should do with my little broody hen. Should I get fertile eggs for her to sit on or do you think she will no longer sit on them (She left the nest steaming mad). Is there any way I can make the poor thing feel better about herself. I just feel so bad for her!!!!!

2. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
  3. ALRwild

ALRwild Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Idaho
    Thank you for the link. [​IMG] I'm not sure if I'm ready for more yet (errrr... if my FAMILY is ready for more) but I'll talk to them about it. Thanks again!

4. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Having a broody raise chicks for you can be a great experience but before you run out and get her fertile eggs, you want to make sure she's serious about it. Some hens will play with the idea and then decide brooding is not for them after all. Give her 2-3 days and if she is consistenly in the nest during the day AND sleeping in the nest at night, then consider getting her some eggs.

You could run an ad in CL in the meantime to see if you can find anyone locally who has fertile eggs, but I'd delay a few days before actually going and picking them up.

5. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    There are BYC boards by area in the Where am I/Where are you section. If you just want a few fertile eggs, there may be folks in your area happy to oblige and that's a great place to ask.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by