Chicken got attacked by a dog :(

aliholly5484

Hatching
Nov 22, 2016
My chicken sure is a sorry sight! I'm new to taking care of chickens so I'm doing the best I can with what I have. I've read through a lot of posts on here and they've all been very informative. The chicken had a good size chunk taken out of her back underneath her wing. It's a pretty clean wound, just the top layer of skin came off. I cleaned it and put turmeric as well as some triple antibiotic on it.
The incident happened Saturday night, it's now Tuesday. My husband and I noticed today she's walking funnier than she was. At first it was just a limp but now she's walking like she's drunk, kind of stumbling and bobing sideways. She's still eating well and when I looked at her wound today it doesn't look worse and it doesn't smell. Obviously, I'm think a break or a sprain. Any thoughts and other suggestions?

You seem to be doing pretty good dealing with this. I would bring her indoors and keep her under close observation in a setting that she can rest in. Lots of warm and dark with regular feedings and plenty of water.

Update: chicken is doing great, she's with the other chickens who are very protective of her and always let her eat first. She's not even the alpha either. Her leg gives out on her sometimes, but rarely. She has been walking normally around he yard. Her wound also looks good.

Back
Top Bottom