1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken got bit by dog, HELP! PLEASE!! Need advice!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cam123, Jul 3, 2011.

1. cam123

cam123 New Egg

Jul 2, 2011
    So my stupid dog bit my buff laced polish in the head. She had a bloody nose for a second, then it stopped. She is standing up and breathing, no other marks on her other than her swollen eyes. We gave her some baby aspirin and have her sitting in our kitchen with us. She seems responsive to a point, she wont move, but she has gone to the bathroom a couple of times. what else should I do? I do not what else to do and I really dont want to put her down or anything. Any suggestions??

Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
  2. ajay

ajay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2011
    My dog attacked my chicken yesterday. [​IMG] We have isolated her and are just hoping for the best. She has a different injury than your chicken. I did bring her outside today for awhile to hang out with the other chickens so when [​IMG] she gets better, she won't have too many integration issues. So sorry to hear and best of luck to you.

3. Gmsg01

Gmsg01 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2011
    West Monroe,NY
    On other threads, I have read to try sugar water, and encouraging to eat with favourite foods like melon or yogurt. Good luck![​IMG]

4. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    You need to find any wounds on her and apply antibiotic ointment to prevent infection. She is probably going to be in shock for a while (a day or two). Offer Gatoraid and keep some scrambled egg available. Don't worry if she doesn't eat for day or so. Do try to get her to drink though, try putting some in a spoon and holding it up to her beak. Once she starts drinking regularly, mix the Gatoraid (or other electrolytes) with her water for another day or two.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
  5. cam123

cam123 New Egg

Jul 2, 2011
    She doesn't have any open wounds. Her eyes are swollen and she hasn't opened them since he bit her. I am assuming her just bit her hard enough to maybe cause brain swelling?? is that possible? she hasn't gone to the bathroom since this morning, she has been drinking water, but only when i put it in her mouth via syringe. I gave her medicine this morning after the attack but it's a pain med for animals you are only supposed to give one a day. Any more suggestions will be greatly appreciated!! Thanks for the feedback so far!

6. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    Quote:I would use caution putting fluids directly into her mouth, she could easily aspirate. I usually dip the beak into a spoonful of Gatoraid or drip a bit on the side of the beak. You will usually see the bird suck some of it in.

Eye swelling always looks horrible. You can rinse with sterile water (I just boil and cool some) a couple of times a day. It can take quite a while for them to look normal again. Polysporin is safe to put directly in the eye if you suspect infection there. Infection must be treated quickly to prevent blindness. I learned that the hard way. [​IMG]

There is not much you can do about brain swelling. I had a bird with severe head injuries recover nicely. Baby aspirin can reduce swelling but honestly, I didn't use it because I was worried about bleeding. This particular bird couldn't eat solid food for a few days. I mixed Gatoraid, scrambled eggs, yogurt, and baby food beef in the blender for her.

7. cam123

cam123 New Egg

Jul 2, 2011
    [​IMG] unfortunately my Leah dies last night. IT was one of the most horrible things I have ever seen. She had a seizure, made an awful noise and then she was gone. I appreciate all the advice. Just really sad she is gone. If I could post pictures I would put one up of her. She was beautiful and had the best personality. I will miss her dearly

8. PAchickenlover

PAchickenlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    [​IMG] so sorry for your loss....

9. angelsmomma

angelsmomma New Egg

Mar 30, 2011
    Sorry to hear of your loss. One of my hens was attacked by a friends dog. Put a gash in her back but lucky for me I was able to save her by beating the dog off of her with my pitch fork handle. I have treated my birds and other animals with unflavored pedialite. You can find it in any store that sell baby food. It is safer than gatorade for animals of any kind or at any age.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  10. ajay

ajay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2011
    I'm so sorry. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by