chicken got caught in dogs mouth

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dukeums1, May 25, 2010.

1. dukeums1

dukeums1 Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2010
    yestereday our 2 and half month old little girl chicken got chased by a dog and by the time the owner got to it i found my chicken stumbling around and it fell over on it's side.
    we picked it up and tried to see if she could stand however she just fell over.
    we brought her in the house in a little cage full of straw for the night thinking if anything she wouldn't make it through the night if it was internal bleeding cause on the outside there were no puncture wounds or blood.
    we got up this morning and she was bright eyed and could stand on her own however still kind of wobbly but did take a few steps.
    my question is how can we tell if her leg or hip is broken or sprained? but she is a strong little girl we really didn't think she was gonna make it!

thank you
    sarah

2. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

I'm gonna bump this for you, so you can get a answer. [​IMG]

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hello! Glad your little chick pulled through......here's what I would do.....I would just limit her activity, and just give her time to heal. She may have a bruised bone, and there's really no way to tell unless you take your chicken to the vet and have it x-rayed. Alot of people don't have their chickens vet checked because it's just so expensive.

I had a chick just a few months old develop a limp, and I just kept an eye on her and made sure she stayed calm, and after a few weeks, no more limp! So I was happy!

I'll bet if you give her time, she'll recover!

Good luck!
    Sharon

4. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

The only way to tell besides an xray is to feel the leg. Gently feel up and down the leg - compare it to the other or to another chicks leg. If she was mine, I would confine her in a small cage with little to no movement so her leg heals. (think how you feel with a pulled muscle and the little movement you want to do)

Couple weeks ago one of our Mastiffs "caught" his favorite hen. (He has an incredible crush on my MF Cochin pullets) Columbus - the pullet - was doing her flap/fly around the pen and over the fence she flew. The dog just opened his mouth and caught her like a ball. Poor Columbus landed wrong in his mouth and pulled a muscle or twisted a tendon - she yelled, dog dropped her and she wabbled away. No punctures, no bruising - just wet feathers.

I felt her leg, and could feel no break, so brought her into the house and confined her with food/water in reach. After 2 days, I moved her into a brooder that she could move around more in. She did have unsteady steps for a couple days, and walked with a hitch in her git-up. She stayed in the house for almost a week. She is now back out flying/flapping around and teasing the dog (he will lay down and she runs up hops on him and gives him a peck before flying/flapping away - little hussy [​IMG] )

Hoping your girl is back to her self in no time. [​IMG]

5. glasstapper

glasstapper Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2010
    Washington State :)
    Oh, the poor thing... I'm sure some nice folks here can tell you what to do. [​IMG]
    The only experience with an animal in a dog's mouth was my brother's hamster about 10 years ago. It didn't live, but it only made it 15 minutes or so. I say if she made it through the night, she has hope. [​IMG] But, I also think keeping her away from the other chickens right now would be a smart plan. Good luck!

6. dukeums1

May 25, 2010
    Thank you all soo soo very much this is awesome I am so happy that i have become a part of this group!!!
    You all have been so helpful! I will keep her in a cage for a couple of days and watch her!
    I will post a pic soon so you all can see her pretty little face!1

Thank you
    Sarah Beth

7. toletiquesbysam

toletiquesbysam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2008
    Nebraska
    On 2 separate occasions my dog got a hold of 4 chickens, 3 of them died within 2days of the attack and the 4th one lived. Soo prayers are needed for your little one for a few days! Good Luck!! [​IMG]

8. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

The fact that she made it overnight is a really good sign. The chickens my *#&$&@!!! dog caught died in my arms within 5 minutes, either from broken necks or shock.

9. nanawendy

nanawendy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Bellingham Wa
    Glad to hear she made it through the night, She will flinch if you rub where she is hurt. I'm sure your giving her lots of love and light treats [​IMG]

10. dukeums1

May 25, 2010
    new update on chicky we got home yesterday and she was up in the cage so we took her outside in her pen without the other chickens and she was a little wobbly but not much she was crying so much though for the other chickens we had to let her out into the yard and she did fine!!! great recovery thanks for all the advice!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by