Chicken got caught under garage door

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MelB, Aug 29, 2010.

1. MelB

MelB In the Brooder

Feb 17, 2010
    Tonight my E.E. hen made a dash for the garage (she's obsessed by our garage) and got caught under the door as it was coming down. A shelless egg came out. She's moving/able to walk, no signs of bleeding/trauma; but she's panting/breathing fast and acts like she's in shock (we put her in her coop). Anyone ever experience this before?

2. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

I'd bring her inside and keep her warm -- not hot, but make sure she doesn't get chilled -- if she IS in shock, she needs to be in a draft free place. Give her some room temp. water with some apple cider vinegar if you have it, or electrolytes if she will drink anything. I hope she doesn't have internal injuries. [​IMG]

3. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger 10 Years

Could be stress/shock. Keep her separated, in a dark quiet area with vitamins in water, favorite foods in reach like stated above. It might take a bit to calm down. Panting can also be a sign of pain. You can dissolve 3 baby aspirin into a gallon of water and fill up her dish. Other than that , wait and see. I had one of my horses step on a hen while she was running, soft egg came shooting out like a cannon ball. I thought for sure she would die, she panted awfully bad. Once the stress wore off, she was back to normal. They can be very hardy at times... Best Wishes for your chicken.....

4. MelB

MelB In the Brooder

Feb 17, 2010
    Thanks!

5. little blue

little blue Chillin' with my Orps

Jul 11, 2010
    Mansfield, CT
    how is she doing? good [​IMG]

6. MelB

MelB In the Brooder

Feb 17, 2010
    She seemed a bit calmer when I put her back in the coop - we had gotten her to drink a littlle and I actually heard her make 2 little peeps.

7. little blue

little blue Chillin' with my Orps

Jul 11, 2010
    Mansfield, CT
    that is better hope she will make it wish you luck [​IMG]

8. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

[​IMG]

I hope your little one will be ok! We need a smilie for love that isn't smiling.

9. hudsonhousechicks

hudsonhousechicks Songster

Jun 2, 2010
    Austin
    Poor baby. My brother got caught in the garage door when he was little. He screamed whether you opened or closed it. He lived to tell the tale though. I do hope that your little one does too. Good thoughts to you and yours.

10. GammaPoppyLilyFlutter

GammaPoppyLilyFlutter Love Comes with Feathers

Jun 26, 2010
    California
    Whenever my chickens have a traumatizing moment, I give them a little bit of Gatorade because it has electrolytes in it. I roll a corn cob in some then give it to the chickens. But I don't think too much Gatorade would be healthy- just a little.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: