Chicken got injured by dog

So our rooster got taken from the coop (We assume he tried to save his hen since one had missing feathers) and the dog just messed him up (I wasn't there to witness it), after this turn of events we poured some Hydrogen Peroxide on his exposed skin and injuries. We put some antibiotic cream on his wounds and skin and we don't know if he'll survive so we need some suggestions on how to treat him better and prevent any infections or any other dangers.
I like what Wyorp Rock said. The only thing I can think of is to mix a strong sugar water solution (1-4, like for hummingbirds) until you get an antibiotic. I was looking for tetramyacin at Tractor Supply and they were out, so I ended up getting an electrolyte mix. W Rock knows a lot, that's obvious. I'd be afraid to give the injection. I have a spray that I used on a guinea that was to heal wounds (originally for my dog). The guineas whole back looked like it had been scalped. It's fine now and I'll look for the name of the spray. A warm, wet compress may also help so that the healing process doesn't let puncture wounds turn into abscesses. Chickens are super hardy. If he doesn't drink on his own, I'd youtube how to give a chicken water with a dropper because it's pertinent that they can then tilt their head back to keep it out of their nostrils. I can't find the spray right now. Also, iodine or beta-dine solution should be good as well. The electrolyte powder came in a 3 pack from Tractor Supply and simply says "Electrolyte" with a baby chick, duck, and guinea of the front. One little pack goes to a gallon of water, so I just did a pinch in each hand watering that I did. My hen was drinking it on her own when I gave it to her though. I didn't have to use a syringe. Best of luck for Big Boy who was protecting.

Back
Top Bottom