Chicken got injured by dog

ChickenLordith13

Hatching
Dec 8, 2018
So our rooster got taken from the coop (We assume he tried to save his hen since one had missing feathers) and the dog just messed him up (I wasn't there to witness it), after this turn of events we poured some Hydrogen Peroxide on his exposed skin and injuries. We put some antibiotic cream on his wounds and skin and we don't know if he'll survive so we need some suggestions on how to treat him better and prevent any infections or any other dangers.

Attachments

• IMG_20181208_212056_01.jpg
    IMG_20181208_212056_01.jpg
    701.6 KB · Views: 14
So our rooster got taken from the coop (We assume he tried to save his hen since one had missing feathers) and the dog just messed him up (I wasn't there to witness it), after this turn of events we poured some Hydrogen Peroxide on his exposed skin and injuries. We put some antibiotic cream on his wounds and skin and we don't know if he'll survive so we need some suggestions on how to treat him better and prevent any infections or any other dangers.
I'm sorry to hear about your rooster.

It sounds like you flushed and cleaned out the wounds the best you can. Triple antibiotic ointment or cream on the wounds was good too.
If you find that you need to re-flush the wounds, use saline or boiled and cooled salt water, warm soapy water or similar instead of the Peroxide. Peroxide is good for bubbling out wounds/initial cleaning, but extended use it can damage tissue.

You have your fella inside it looks like, keep him warm and comfy like you are doing. Try to get him hydrated, he may be in shock. You can offer vitamin, electrolytes, sugar water, gatorade - whatever you have on hand. Hold a little cup of water to his beak to see if he will drink on his own. You may need to drip water in the side of his beak and let him take it in. I would not worry about food for the day, but you can put some next to him if you wish - hydration is most important.

With extensive wounds, you should also consider administering antibiotics if you have them. Most Tractor Supplies carry Procaine Penicillin G in the refrigerated section. Give him up to 1/4ml injection in the breast muscle once a day for 5 days. Use a 20 gauge needle alternate sides each day.

Let us know how he's doing.

I'm sorry to hear about your rooster.

It sounds like you flushed and cleaned out the wounds the best you can. Triple antibiotic ointment or cream on the wounds was good too.
If you find that you need to re-flush the wounds, use saline or boiled and cooled salt water, warm soapy water or similar instead of the Peroxide. Peroxide is good for bubbling out wounds/initial cleaning, but extended use it can damage tissue.

You have your fella inside it looks like, keep him warm and comfy like you are doing. Try to get him hydrated, he may be in shock. You can offer vitamin, electrolytes, sugar water, gatorade - whatever you have on hand. Hold a little cup of water to his beak to see if he will drink on his own. You may need to drip water in the side of his beak and let him take it in. I would not worry about food for the day, but you can put some next to him if you wish - hydration is most important.

With extensive wounds, you should also consider administering antibiotics if you have them. Most Tractor Supplies carry Procaine Penicillin G in the refrigerated section. Give him up to 1/4ml injection in the breast muscle once a day for 5 days. Use a 20 gauge needle alternate sides each day.

Let us know how he's doing.

We put some Vitamin, electrolyte, and mineral supplement into his water but we don't have any penicillin, we're thinking about buying some vetericyn is that a good idea?

What a brave rooster you have! Yes, vetericyn is good. It’s hard to tell in the photo how extended his wounds are. Is it just his back? How deep? I would look him over very closely for any other, like puncture) wounds. @Wyorp Rock has provided good advice and you did a good job with him so far.

What a brave rooster you have! Yes, vetericyn is good. It’s hard to tell in the photo how extended his wounds are. Is it just his back? How deep? I would look him over very closely for any other, like puncture) wounds. @Wyorp Rock has provided good advice and you did a good job with him so far.

We saw some pretty small holes on his back but other than that there's not really any deep punctures and yes it's only his back.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom