1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken got malled by a racoon...Eye problems

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by fred56, Feb 2, 2013.

1. fred56

fred56 New Egg

Oct 25, 2012
    Hey guys, this might be my first post but here we go. Forgot to lock up the chickens in time tonight and as my wife and I were talking about doing so we heard our chickens screaming I in my boxers and my wife ran outside and scared away the racoons. I stupidly they stayed in my neighbors yard where I popped a shot at ones backside with my pellet gun which sent them both running.

But now the bad part they tore a TON of feathers off my little Silkie and her eye seams to be hurt pretty bad as she is not opening it. There is no visible blood on her anywhere and she is responsive but I'm just worried about her eye. I don't really want to touch it and make is worse is there anything i can put on it to help?

2. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

If she is standing, walking, and eating, do not bother it just yet. If she is shocky, put her in a warm, dry dark small place and let her recover. Chickens have a remarkable ability to heal and need less first aid than most people realize. With that said, I usually try too hard! Is there any wound on the outside of her eye? Is there any drainage or is it just swolen? Can you post a pic?

3. fred56

fred56 New Egg

Oct 25, 2012
    UPDATE: She is eating but not really drinking much water at all though she did lay an egg in front of me unexpetantly almost layed it in my hand. Im going to go pick up a syringe so I can get some water into her system.

Her eye is still closed and she has a gash across it. Sorry I don't have a pic we can seam to get a decent one but it does seam like it is healing. Is there anything I can give her to help? We have her seperated in the house and she does not leave her little 2x2' box.

4. fred56

fred56 New Egg

Oct 25, 2012
    Annndddd another update. She started to eat A LOT this morning and she had an impacted crop. So I mixed some electrolyte water with some vegetable oil (recommended by a local) as well as some Duramycin-10 and syringed it down her throat it very quickly (within 5 min.) along with some massaging cleared her crop and during the whole messy ordeal of getting the tube down her throat she opened her eye and it looks like that is not damaged at all. So currently she is on a liquid diet until she starts pooping it all out.

5. tadpole98

tadpole98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Missouri
    Clover once got her eye gashed into by a dog. Made her whole head swell at least five times as much as normal. I won't go into details, but she lost her eye and lived a year before a hawk killed her.
    We put neosporin on her eye to prevent infections.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by