Chicken Got out of Fence...where would she go?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Gwendy7501, Jul 8, 2016.

1. Gwendy7501

Gwendy7501 New Egg

Jul 8, 2016
    We have a flock of 2 year olds and a new flock of 6 chickens. They are all staying out in the coop together. We have a fenced in yard (with a 6 foot high fence) but have a few areas where there may be some space underneath for a sneak out.
    Usually at dark, all the chickens are in the run area or hen house and are settling in for the night. Tonight, we went out to check on them and we are missing 1. We don't even know how long she's been gone.
    We have wooded areas all behind us. With neighbors on both sides in a residential area.
    Does anyone know what their instincts will tell them? Do they perch up in trees or will she bed down and hide? We searched the area as best we could, but no luck. She was not in their normal hiding areas.

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Instincts will have them roosting up off the ground, unless she's broody then she will be nesting on the ground.

Habit will have them trying to get back to the flock....
    ......and they're often not too smart about getting back in where they got out.

Was it a newer bird(how old?) or an older bird that is missing?
    More info on your housing and flock might help.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2016
  3. Gwendy7501

Gwendy7501 New Egg

Jul 8, 2016
    Well, actually we just found her! Somehow she flipped over a basket and ended up trapped all night. Even laid an egg in there! She was so quiet and wasn't even cooing or making ANY noise! Our dog ended up sniffing around the basket and we thought a chipmunk got underneath it!
    Yeah, hurray! We feel a little stupid because we were out for a few hours with flashlights looking in the woods! We were completely baffled as to why she wasn't trying to get back to the flock! When we do have the occasional one getting out, they pace the fence back and forth and make lots of noise!
    Thank you so very much for responding to me so quickly! I even cried tears of joy!

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Hahaha!!
    Great News, glad she's OK......not the first time I've heard the 'trapped under a basket' story.

5. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    I've had em flip water pans onto themselves and find them under there in the morning. Poor soggy things... look like drowned rats till they get dry lol. Glad you found her safe and sound. Hopefully a little wiser as well.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by