Chicken got wrapped up in a fly strip

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LoneCowboy, Sep 8, 2008.

1. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    My husband went out to put the girls in tonight, and one of the Jersey Giants got herself all wrapped up in the fly strip I had hanging in their coop.

I'm having a horrible time with flies since we had a big rain, so I hung this up where I thought it would be way out of their way. Well I was wrong.

He grabbed her and comes running into the house. Yelling help we've got a problem! I pulled the fly strip off her very carefully holding the feathers so she wouldn't feel the tugging.

Lucky for me, I got one stuck to my arm yesterday and I couldn't get the sticky off. I pulled out my bottle of De-Solv-It and I got the sticky off me pretty easy.

That bottle was sitting right there tonight so I grabbed it quick and check the contents to make sure it was safe. It's totally natural, organic and harmless. It has citrus oil in it but nothing harmful. I sprayed it on her wing and side where she got all stuck. It loosened right up. Then I rinced her off and she seems as good as new.

I thought I share this in case somebody else has something like this come up.

2. sweetcorn

sweetcorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Had that happen to my cat , she had a fly stick pasted across her belly. We used "goo gone" on her. Scratched me up good though while I was trying to get it off .

3. jacyjones

jacyjones Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Aberystwyth, Wales
    Quote:Last summer I had a strip up in my stable as my mare has sweet itch. A swallow flew into it and got very tangled. we spent hours trying to carefully remove the strip and the glue - they are so strong! The bird lost some feathers but survived the night and flew away the next morning. I often wonder if it survived and felt very guilty about its experience. It was my vet who suggested the strips but I won't be using them again!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by