Chicken grit for chicks?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by kmdsparrow, Sep 23, 2010.

1. kmdsparrow

kmdsparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Is the typical chicken grit too big for chicks?

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Chicks use #1 grit, then #2, then #3. It's on my grit bag, a chart. But they sell "chick grit" in little bags so you don't have to buy a big one. Chick grit is tiny sharp rock bits.

I have also seen people on this message board say you can go to the pet store and buy the grit used for in-house birds. I don't know about that because I haven't tried it.

3. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

If it is of mixed sizes, the little ones will find the bits of grit just right for them (like they do if a broody is raising them outside).

You can also use sand.

4. wildorchid053

wildorchid053 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    syracuse area, ny
    if they only eat chick starter then they need no grit.. if you are feeding other treats then they need the chick grit to digest it

5. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    It's my understanding that you don't want to use the grit for indoor birds because it contains calcium. Extra calcium for young chicks is not a good thing and can cause kidney (I think I read it was kidney) damage.
    When my chicks were young I just purchased a small bag of chick grit at the time I wanted to give them treats and that lasted until they were ready for the #2.
    (I've never heard of #3 grit. My feed store doesn't carry it so I hope that it's not necessary)

Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
  6. ChickensAreSweet

Yay Chicks! :

It's my understanding that you don't want to use the grit for indoor birds because it contains calcium. Extra calcium for young chicks is not a good thing and can cause kidney (I think I read it was kidney) damage.
    When my chicks were young I just purchased a small bag of chick grit at the time I wanted to give them treats and that lasted until they were ready for the #2.
    (I've never heard of #3 grit. My feed store doesn't carry it so I hope that it's not necessary)

The grit that I use is granite grit. There is a product I have heard of that has the oyster shells mixed in with the grit. I don't buy that.​

7. ChickensAreSweet

Yay Chicks! :

I give them grit in case they eat shavings, even before they are out eating grass. But I sprinkle it over the food, because new chicks will fill up on grit. After a couple of weeks, they just eat a little.​

8. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Quote:I have not found this to be true for me and my birds.

My incubator chicks are given a sandwich container full of sand on their third day (the day my broodies generally leave the nest with chicks) and any purchased chicks are started right away with a container. My Broodies start finding bits of sand for the chicks as soon as they leave the nest. All of my birds also get whole grains from day 3 forward.

Any grit not needed by the gizzard passes out of the body. Grit is always being worn down and needing to be replaced, the tougher (granite) the grit - the slower it is to break down. Generally the grit I find in gizzards of birds 20 weeks and older, is just smaller than BB size.

9. ChickensAreSweet

Quote:I have not found this to be true for me and my birds.

My incubator chicks are given a sandwich container full of sand on their third day (the day my broodies generally leave the nest with chicks) and any purchased chicks are started right away with a container. My Broodies start finding bits of sand for the chicks as soon as they leave the nest. All of my birds also get whole grains from day 3 forward.

Any grit not needed by the gizzard passes out of the body. Grit is always being worn down and needing to be replaced, the tougher (granite) the grit - the slower it is to break down. Generally the grit I find in gizzards of birds 20 weeks and older, is just smaller than BB size.

I have had chicks eat a whole bunch of grit. I was horrified. They just chowed down; I came back and it was almost all GONE. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by