1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken grit?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by DobermanGuy, Apr 9, 2012.

1. DobermanGuy

DobermanGuy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2012
    I was advised to get this by a member at another forum to held aid digestion and prevent 'problems'...

Currently feeding them the Dumor chick starter. Would appreciate any advice to make sure I buy them the correct 'grit' or if I even need it???

TSC is the place I normally shop at for these things but I can look online aswell if you folks have suggestion that TSC does not carry.

Thanks!

2. soffeann1997

soffeann1997 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2012
    Grit is not something your chicks really need. Mine all do great without it. All grit is, is a low protein food. Your chick started will have way more protein and be way better for your chicks.

3. Scooter&Suzie

Scooter&Suzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Your chickens may not need it - do they free range? Free range chickens find their own stones and use that to help digest their food. If the only food they eat is chicken feed you do not need grit - but if you feed them left over food you might want to offer it free choice. It is not expensive and lasts FOREVER (or so it seems). Just follow the directions on the back, or put some in a bowl and allow them to eat it as they wish. Others probably have a better input on this.

EDIT: If it is for chicks you would need a special chick grit - but I've heard that chicks don't need it. For chicks I wouldn't get it.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  4. nicolets

nicolets Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2010
    Monroe County, PA
    I thought I needed grit at first, too, but turns out, if they're only eating chick feed they won't need it. Until, that is, you feed them bigger things (treats, etc), only counting feed if it is pellets. You may want to have some on hand just in case, though, because they won't take it if they don't need it (of course, chicks will play with it, though). Be sure to note that there is chick grit and then there's grit for older birds, not sure where the age dividing line is.

5. DobermanGuy

DobermanGuy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2012

Sorry I was not more clear about what I have. I have chicks (them in my avatar). They are not big enough or feathered enough to go outside yet. Still have them inside near their light. Only food they get is the Chick Starter other than a few occasional mealworms I toss in for a treat. Not going crazy with the mealworms... They get about one a day each chick but not more.

It is funny as heck to see them play chase when one grabs a mealworm and takes off running with it! LOL! Their may be a small pile of mealworms left but all the other chicks would rather chase the bird that HAS the worm instead!

6. RonC

RonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    Eating the starter they don't need the chick grit which is smaller than regular grit, however with them eating the mealworms it would be a good idea. It's cheap, my local feed store gives a price break if you buy 10 lbs, was about $4. A small sack full. Might want to give it to them in small amounts till they get their fill of it. Heard too much can cause an impacted crop. They will eat it like crazy at first.

7. TonySorrento

TonySorrento Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    South Wales, New York
    I don't know how my chicks have survived the 5 weeks they have been around ... lol .... I have sand in the bottom of my brooder to level it (old wooded wagon) and pine shavings on that .... never used paper towels ... they have eaten the.sand since I've had them and. I have been giving them worms for weeks ... and they are heLthy and happy as all get out ...... sand = grit if someone was wondering ....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by