1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken growing pace..

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by GhettoRoo, Dec 2, 2014.

1. GhettoRoo

GhettoRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2014
    Good day!
    Yesterday in TV, in some expert show was talking about broiler chickens.
    Expert said, that the broilers chickens are allowed to sleep only 1 hour, and they are sleeping well. So as in chickens youngth they have fast metabolism, they need to eat very regulary.. As i know, or heard, in 3 months chicken weight 5-6 Kilos..
    So, we-human are growing while sleeping. So, birds are growing while awake?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
  2. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    Yes, they also grow while awake. We too grow while awake, just slower.

What did the expert mean, saying they're only 'allowed' to sleep for an hour? Are they being woken up regularly by people, or are they waking up themselves?

I doubt they're only let to sleep for an hour every day, they wouldn't be healthy or make good feed conversion gains at all. Sleep deprivation is harmful and counterproductive. It can contribute to obesity, but it's hardly something you'd do to that extreme in order to put weight on animals because you'd risk losing them to disease. Enough sleep deprivation causes illness, preventing the body from replacing cells at the usual rate and performing the other metabolic processes necessary to life.

Chickens 'cat-nap', they don't need long uninterrupted periods of sleep, but they do need more than an hour per 24 hour period. They are, like most birds, very good at snatching enough rest during brief periods of stillness.

Best wishes.

3. GhettoRoo

GhettoRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2014
    I understand that the birds is mby all 24 h in light to eat when ever they want and all little rest sleeps what chicks do collect that hour. Or they are in light for 23 hours.

4. chooks4life

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    Hmm. Wouldn't think that's the best for their bodies at all, could affect melatonin and serotonin and other hormones... And thus their health... But, chooks do seem good at snatching sleep when they need it.

Long term effects would be the deciding proof of whether or not they can cope with such an amount of light without suffering ill health due to it... And my bet is no, they won't cope as well as normally rested chickens. They're not machines like that, lol.

Best wishes.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    My chicks sleep while it's light outside. I'm sure those chicks are sleeping more than an hour a day, my meaties sure do.

6. chooks4life

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    X2, I'd bet watching them shows they're taking little naps throughout the day, most baby animals of all sorts do and I've always seen hen-reared chicks take naps during the daytime under their mother too, even though they're not being restricted from natural lighting hours.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by