Chicken growing slow

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by VanSintjan, Jul 5, 2008.

1. VanSintjan

VanSintjan Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2008
    Belgium
    Hi. Does any of you have hatches where one or more chickens develops slower than the rest? This little guy (I think) is far behind his hatch mates. Half the size and behind with feathereing:

[​IMG]

The only one who is close in size is little Blondie:

[​IMG]

They are both healthy and full of energy though? Is thsi normal?

2. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* It happens fairly often from what I've read here. People sometimes put them with a younger flock closer to their own size and they may become the 'flock leader' in that case. The 'syndome' has a fitting name, but I can't remember it for the life of me at the moment. [​IMG]

3. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

One of my production reds is smaller than the others. Maybe I'll be calling this bird Rudy instead of Ruby, or maybe she's a bantam???[​IMG]

4. Lea71

Lea71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Yep...I've got one who is just a shrimp...her name is fittingly, Little Bird. I got all nine of my girls when they were just hatched. And one of my barred rocks just trails behind everybody else when it comes to growth. She holds her own though, nobody picks on her. One of my EE's (my biggest bird) looks to be about double Little Bird's size...I thought maybe a bantam accidently got in the mix. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by