1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chicken growling?s

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Rooster1235597, Apr 22, 2010.

1. Rooster1235597

Rooster1235597 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    connecticut
    I went outside to find one of my full grown rirs laying behind the coop immotentlouse and growling, she would not move, I had to pick her up and put her inside. Once inside she still just stood the growling and looking around. Do you think she was traumatized by some animal trying to eat her? I tas 2:25 pm when I went out there so the only predator out would be a hawk and I did a thorough look around and didn't see anything. What could have happened? I am worried!?

2. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I'd keep an eye out the next couple of days.

3. PaulaJoAnne

PaulaJoAnne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    She wants babies.

4. 4 Love of Baby Chickens

4 Love of Baby Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sounds like she's broody to me. [​IMG]

5. Rooster1235597

Rooster1235597 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    connecticut
    Do you really think so? I have 5 baby chicks in my house, 3 weeks old on Monday, should I bring them out for her?

6. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

They are probably too old for her to accept. You need day olds ~ she may injure 3 week olds.

7. ilovedragons2

ilovedragons2 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2012
    Eastern OHIO
    I heard one of my young hens growling at one of the other hens. She isn't laying eggs yet. Does this mean she will start laying soon?? [​IMG]

8. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    The few girls we've had go broody (all production Sex links - so, not much broodiness) tend to `yowl'. Sometimes, it seems, they yowl just to be yowling (no threats/no external stimuli at all). Growls, on the other hand are usually softer, evenly spaced vocalizations (like a motor idling). If a coon/opossum comes in too close to the coop at night, or a Barred Owl is Cachinnating in the branches of one of the Hickories in the run, over the monitor we'll hear a choir of growling chooks.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2012
  9. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i notice that low growling sometimes, especially in the evening as they get ready for bed. Maybe it's more of a purr. Broodies make all manner of sounds, but will usually try to sound threatening. Oh now, come to think of it, i have heard growling from chickens after an aerial predator flies over. First they freeze and get quiet, then after the danger has passed i will sometimes hear the growling.

BTW - i would not put the small chicks with her. No telling how she would react. Best to keep them safe.

10. K-12 Chickens

K-12 Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Michigan
    Anytime my hens see a hawk or other large bird soar over, they all freeze and make "purring" sounds. It kind of tells the others to sit still and warn them of danger. Maybe that's what you were hearing. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by