Chicken Growth

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by SarahFair, Oct 26, 2009.

1. SarahFair

SarahFair Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    I have black sex links (mixed barred rock hen with black jersey giant rooster)
    My pullets are black and almost the size of their mother. The cockerels are a tiny bit larger than the hens (some of them anyways) but not nearly as large as my SLW cockreals (who have 10 weeks on them).
    When are they going to be a good age to butcher the cockerels? Im thinking Im going to have problems selling them and Id rather eat them than give them away to someone else whos just going to eat them..
    They hatched out May 25, 2009

Then I also have 2 silkie pullets hatched on the same date. They are TINY compaired to the other pullets I saw at a show this past weekend. When do silkies reach their full grown size?

2. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    If it were me I butcher as soon as it's convienent with your schedule. Layoing breeds grow so slowly that the weight gain verus food cost never works in your favor.

3. SarahFair

SarahFair Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    Quote:Thats what I was tellin the SO. By the time they get full grown the money we spend on them eating wont even be worth it.
    I can do it any day any time I just dont want to put a skinny chicken on the table..

4. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    When I butcher those skinny birds I breast them out and pull the legs, toss the rest. It doesn't look so pitiful in pieces as it does whole.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by