Chicken guard.

RD Houseman

Hatching
Jan 5, 2016
Paisley Florida
We just acquired three red star chicks. Our dog, Emmit, a 26 pound Pomeranian has taken to them. Whenever they peep he is on the ball to make sure they are fine. I am sure when they go out to the coop we will not have to worry about predators, as we live in the Ocala forrest in central Florida.

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Congrats on your chicks! Be very cautious with dogs being around chickens. Sometimes they act like they want to protect them when in reality, they want to eat them for lunch! So, just be careful. Some dogs do indeed protect chickens and I hope your dog is one of those.
smile.png
x2 sometimes we like to put our own emotions on dogs to explain behavior, rather than thinking like a dog. The interest shown when they peep may be predatory rather than protective. I hope that's not the case with your dog, but it's always best to be careful :)

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Congrats on your chicks! Be very cautious with dogs being around chickens. Sometimes they act like they want to protect them when in reality, they want to eat them for lunch! So, just be careful. Some dogs do indeed protect chickens and I hope your dog is one of those.
smile.png

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. X2 on the other members' warnings about the dogs. We frequently get posts from new members who are horrified because their seemingly benign dog (sometimes even small breeds such as Poms) suddenly and unexpectedly decided to chase and kill their chickens. Unfortunately chickens and dogs so not usually mix well. Dogs tend to view chickens either as prey or else as chew toys. Hopefully your dog is the exception. If you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is lots of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

welcome-byc.gif

x2 on the advice given. Some dogs are wonderful around chickens, but some change and later attack them. I would assume (don't rely on my word, though) that a Pomeranian is a relatively calm breed.

welcome-byc.gif

x2 on the advice given. Some dogs are wonderful around chickens, but some change and later attack them. I would assume (don't rely on my word, though) that a Pomeranian is a relatively calm breed.
Pomeranians are actually part of the Spitz family, so, while small, they are pretty active. I saw a thread a couple weeks ago about an adult chicken who got attacked and pretty badly injured by a chihuahua! Small dogs can be very surprising

Growing up on a farm we had over 200 chickens at one time. I trained both my dogs, a beagle and a walker hound to guard and protect all the animals. Our pom went thru the same training and I feel confident that he will protect them. These are not the only chickens we have but they are the youngest chicks he has been around.

Back
Top Bottom