Chicken Gulping?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chilisweet, Jul 26, 2008.

1. chilisweet

chilisweet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    The last couple of days my girls are stretching out their necks and opening their beaks, as if they are gulping. They have plenty of water and have been drinking it in a normal amount, so I don't think they are thirsty. Could their crops be full and they are trying to swallow? I know they don't swallow per se, but does that make sense?

Anyone else's girls do this?

~Caran

I will try to video it and post it.

2. Plymouthroxgal

Plymouthroxgal Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    Is It Hot Because The Might Have Been Panting Than Stop as Soon as U saw Them Than Gulped My Girls Do That when Its Hot Tho

3. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I've seen mine do that from time to time. If they are doing it constantly I would be concerned, but if you just see it every once in a while I wouldn't be worried.

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    They are panting like a dog to cool themselves.

5. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    They are hot. They pant with mouths open to cool off in high temps.

I'm not sure what the gulping is -- I'm guessing it's just heat related... I've heard on BYC of people feeding them cold watermelon to help cool them down.

Are you feeding them anything unusual that is too large or hard to swallow?

There is also something called gapeworm -- a worm that lives in their throats. I highly doubt your chickens have this, but I thought I'd mention it. Google it to find out more.

6. chilisweet

chilisweet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    I've seen them pant often enough. It's only in the mid 70's here today. A couple weeks ago, it was in the high 90's and they weren't gulping then. I don't know if that is that. It could be, it just seems strange that they just started doing that yesterday.

I'm gonna go film them now and then figure out how to post a video...

~Caran

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by