Chicken harnesses?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ChickenCrazy4ever, Jun 28, 2011.

1. ChickenCrazy4ever

ChickenCrazy4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2011
    My house :D
    Has anyone made or purchased a leash or harness for your chickens?

If so where did you buy it or how did you make it?

I'm just wondering because I'd like to have a way to let them out of the run into the grassy area outside the yard and be able to take them back in without chasing them 5 times around the block.

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Um...no.

If you let them out an hour or two before bedtime, they will put themselves back in the coop. You may have to search for stragglers after dark, but not after the first 2 or 3 times.

3. ChickenCrazy4ever

ChickenCrazy4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2011
    My house :D
    They have a tendency to wander TOO far though.

4. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    If they have lived in the coop for a few weeks they will know where home is. You can open the door a few hours before dusk & they will return to the coop to roost before its dark. They can't see in the dark . Let them out.

5. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Then you'll have to weigh that with the desire to let them range.

Perhaps you can look into building them a largish run.

6. My kids have gotten rabbit harnesses, that come with a leash, and i think there are even tiny dog harnesses, or even a cat harness that you could probably make work. How effective it would be, I don't know. I should borrow my kids' and try it out. My guess is you'd have to sew, pin some of the straps to fit around the wings. As far as effective and practical, I'd go for the fence though, unless it was one, very tame pet chicken [​IMG]

7. taprock

taprock Chillin' With My Peeps

I know they have them. I recently read a post about putting roos on harnesses and was interested. It wasn't to keep them from wandering and easy herding but rather to keep them away from the hens.

8. moetrout

moetrout Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Milan, MI
    My daughter has a rabbit harness that she uses to walk her pet chickens. Works well, but they can not use their wings because the harness goes over top of them. It;s cute to watch her though.

9. montanasandy

montanasandy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    Potomac, Montana
    I think that if you can hold your chicken and they LET you put a harness on they are tame enough not to have to worry about them wandering to far from you. [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. vanilla.exe

vanilla.exe Chillin' With My Peeps

I know they sell harnesses for big birds like macaws, should be able to find something for a chicken. Look at the pet store.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by