Chicken has a bad cold. May not make it. Advice needed

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by GranolaGirl, Dec 4, 2010.

1. GranolaGirl

GranolaGirl Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2010
    Creedmoor
    The other night one of my younger pullets (11 weeks) got locked out of the coop accidentally. It got pretty cold that night and I think she got sick from it. Yesterday her eyes were weeping and today when I went to check on her, her eyes were stuck shut. I removed her from the flock and wiped her eyes with a warm cloth and applied VetRx to her head and under her wings. She is not eating or drinking.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm afraid she isn't going to make it

2. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Keep her separated and warm with a heat lamp. If she won't drink take a syringe with needle and inject 2-3cc's under her skin of warm water & vitamin mix. If no needle, take a piece of tubing, put over a syringe and tube feed water/food down the throat... avoid hole right behind tongue, go over that and to either side of the throat. You can warm up water and fill ziplock bags and put under each wing to up temps. Tylan 50, LA200, Baytril are good meds to use. Worst case use kids Cold & Flue Equate brand, grape, give 1/2 cc down throat 2 x daily. Try giving scrambled eggs... you can put in beak if she won't eat.

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Heat lamp and scrambled eggs to eat when she will. Dropper some water in the side of her beak but don't let her aspirate.

Once they stop drinking they are goners unless you can get some liquid into them!

4. GranolaGirl

GranolaGirl Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2010
    Creedmoor
    UPDATE: Yesterday I started giving her .25 cc's of Tylan orally and water through a syringe. This morning she was drinking (and I think eating) on her own.[​IMG] She is still sleeping a lot and looking ver "droopy" so I will keep giving her the Tylan for the next few days. (I thought I read 3-5 days)

On another note...We just got our first egg!! [​IMG]

Thanks for all your help

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Quote:Oh I am glad she is doing better!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by