Chicken has a hard lump - NOT the crop!

Lisa18dawn

Hatching
6 Years
Jan 31, 2013
I have a hen that is unable to walk for a couple of days now - just lays on her side. She wasn't pooping, but after giving her warm baths and massaging her she did poop last nite and again this morning, though it is soft and mushy,
While she was lying on her back last nite as I massaged her (wondering if she is eggbound), I noticed a good sized lump, about 1/2 the size of a golfball, right at the end of her breastbone. It is NOT her crop, but at the other end of her breastbone, closer to her legs. I have no idea what this is, but it is the reason she will not lay flat, but instead on her tummy - it seems to be pushing a little on her breastbone.
She is a golden sex link, about 10 months ago, a sweet girl, who up until 2 days ago was healthy. Then we found her outside lying on her back, almost lifeless, and kind of in shock. She does eat and drink, but not as much as normal. None of our other 5 girls are having any problems.

My rooster started showing this large lump just to the lower side of his chest. His feathers are disapearing around his neck and at the base of his tail. After a few weeks the hens are developing the same type of lump and feather lose. Could some one please tell me what is happening?

Dan, yours sounds like mites and possibly the crop you are seeing. Is it full in the evening (after they eat) and gone in the morning (empty)?

Both of you need to post pics so we can help further.

The lump on each hen and the rooster has grown tremendously. Its ennormus and scary looking but they dont appear to be in a lot of stress. I am going to post a few pictures as soon as I figure out how to do that on the site. My banny hens have not developed the lump or the feather lose. They are seperate coops of corse. The lump on the rooster and hens has grown to baseball size its horrible looking and each chicken has it in the same place (the left side of the neck/chest area). The roosters lump is kind of hard but the hens are sort of mushy.

Okay, forgive me but I have no idea how much you know about chickens.

Birds have a musclular sack called a crop in the area you are describing. It is where the bird's food is ground and readied for digestion. When the bird eats a lot, it swells and protrudes enough to be apparent under the feathers. Once the food is liquified, it passes into the intestines and the crop empties. Check them first thing in the morning before they get off the roost and eat. If the lump is gone, it is the crop.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom