chicken has a sniffly nose!!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenboy7c2d, Jun 1, 2010.

1. chickenboy7c2d

chickenboy7c2d Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2010
    Surrey, England, UK
    A couple of my chickens have sniffly noses at the moment but they appear really healthy apart from that.

2. WonderWoman0625

WonderWoman0625 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2010
    Greenville/Eastern NC
    Hi there! I had the same problem with several of my girls when I first got them. I just seperated them from the rest and gave them some antibiotics in their water. This cured what was ailing them. I got my antibiotics from the Tractor Supply Store and I found out the dosage on this website in some older posts. But first, before trying antibiotics, just wait and see if they recover on their own. Make sure their nostrils are not getting crusty to the point they can't breath. Use a warm damp rag to break up any crusties. Overuse of antibiotics can create a resistance to them. Give them a few days. If they are still sniffling then start searching those older posts to see about what sort of antibiotics and how much. And I believe you throw out any eggs laid during treatment.

But warning: I do have one lady named Fuzz. She sneezy-clucks all the time. I have found that she normally does this after scratching in the dirt for bugs and such. I think she is snorting topsoil. Others sometimes do this too so I have learned to not freak out about it until I see actual snot that will not dry up.

Good luck!

3. chickenboy7c2d

Mar 10, 2010
    Surrey, England, UK
    does baytril oral work, i was given it to help my chicken when she was attacked?

4. chickenboy7c2d

Mar 10, 2010
    Surrey, England, UK
    also do i have to separate them or can i give it to them all?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by