1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken has a stroke?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenemmma, Jun 5, 2016.

1. chickenemmma

chickenemmma New Egg

Jun 5, 2016
    So we have a 3.5 month hen not yet laying, was perfectly fine until this morning. She was walking around our shop perfectly fine this morning out hunting for bugs, and my husband caught her and gave her to me to hold. She promptly fell asleep in my arms, which I thought was sweet until I went to put her down and she wouldn't balence and fell asleep again. We put her back in the hen house where she promptly fell asleep again. We have tried waking her up and she just flops around and seems top heavy. Can't find any injury. She'll drink if I put her beak in water. This has only been ongoing for about 3 hours. Thought she was hot so she is now in a box in the AC wirh a cool rag on her bottom. The weirdest part is she was perfectly fine till we picked her up. Perfectly. Any help would be awesome? Clueless.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. When you held her, were you holding her around her wings and chest? It's possible that she may have had a problem breathing while being held, but I hope not. Give her some electrolytes with vitamins in her water, or some pedialyte or gatorade. Hopefully, it is the heat. You can set her legs in some cool but not cold water. Let us know how she is doing tomorrow. I hope she is fine after some rest and fluids.

3. chickenemmma

chickenemmma New Egg

Jun 5, 2016
    Thanks @Eggcessive for the help and the welcome! By the end of the night last night she was up walking although still unsteady and slept in the coop. And today she was the first one out, running around like normal. No clue what happened. Maybe I was holding her too tight but I didn't think so. Maybe the heat or the combination? For now we just think we got a fainting chicken:)

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    That is great news. She was probably just overheated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by