Chicken has a weird smell....

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by AnimalsComeFirst, Sep 28, 2011.

1. AnimalsComeFirst

AnimalsComeFirst Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Hugging a Chicken
    My old hen, Hazel, has rencently been having a odd smell to her feathers and face area. She is a small, Buff Orpington chicken and pretty stable.... she is blind and no longer lays eggs. She has been smelling this way for a few weeks; she's still eating and drinking fine but not walking around alot. We are not sure of her age but by the look of her, she is older than 7 years old. We rescued her from a abusive home, as we did with our other chickens. 20 chickens were left in a 8x8 pen for 3 days until our friend found them. We took 3 of her chickens, 1 blind (Hazel, Buff Orpington), 1 partial-blind (Penny, Buff Orpington) and one with a broken foot (Gloria, Barred Plymouth Rock). The 2 others don't stink and other than that they are all healthy. Penny and Gloria still lay eggs and we have had them for almost a year.

I keep their coop clean as well as their pen. They are free range chickens and are fed a different variety of food and we keep their water clean. Hazel is the chicken in the middle of my profile picture.
    Any suggestions on home rememedies or medicines we can buy? And does anyone know if this is a diesease?

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  2. Clay Valley Farmer

Clay Valley Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    Sour crop or some sort of yeast type infection of the crop jumps to mind, especially with beeing such an senior chicken.

3. EMaker

EMaker Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    Is her crop full and squishy, as if dough were in it? A bad smell about the face and mouth is often sour crop. Or, she could have an infection somewhere. Do you see any sores or bumps around her face, under her feathering, or in her mouth?

4. spiritdance

spiritdance Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    Open her beak and sniff. She may have some sour crop going. If she does, she may be regurgitating sour food onto her feathers and spreading the smell.

5. AnimalsComeFirst

Jun 6, 2011
    Hugging a Chicken
    Emaker: I felt her crop and its kinda small... not all that squishy. Yes, all around her face it smells. On her waddle there is a lot of bumps. I couldn't really see in her mouth... I tried to open it but she kept backing up and closing it on my fingers. [​IMG]
    spiritdance: I tried to open her mouth but I couldn't really. I smelled the outside of her beak and it smells pretty bad though.

6. AnimalsComeFirst

Jun 6, 2011
    Hugging a Chicken
    Bumping this up....

7. flashover1969

flashover1969 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Gilbert, AZ
    sounds like sour crop. Nystatin will take care of that and feeding her some plain yogurt will help too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by