Chicken Has an Empty Crop on Frigid Day

alinas2010

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Jul 8, 2022
Wyoming
One of my chickens has a completely flat crop today, it was full yesterday before bed but I’m getting worried because it’s empty at almost 4 pm here. She is about 9 months old and laid yesterday. She seems fine and ate some treats earlier. It’s frigid here, around -10, outside and crazy windy, the coop is a bit warmer, about 10 degrees. I’m worried with these temps she won’t stay warm overnight if she doesn’t eat. I’m going to make a warm mash for her, but should I be worried she didn’t fill up her crop a little by now? Does the cold make them want to eat less?

Be careful feeding the mash at those temps, it can be easy to get a little on wattles and cause frostbite. Maybe something more firm like some warmed up flaked tuna or salmon could help, or some hard cooked scrambled egg. It sounds like maybe she's not feeling good, they definitely would be eating right now.

Be careful feeding the mash at those temps, it can be easy to get a little on wattles and cause frostbite. Maybe something more firm like some warmed up flaked tuna or salmon could help, or some hard cooked scrambled egg. It sounds like maybe she's not feeling good, they definitely would be eating right now.
That’s a good idea. I’ll try some. She seems chipper, ate some BSFL, idk what her deal is.

Back
Top Bottom