Chicken has an impacted crop full of rocks

HappyClucker7

Bantam Queen
7 Years
Apr 28, 2016
New York
I noticed that one of my hens had a really big crop, so I brought her inside last night to make sure it was draining properly. This morning I saw that half of it had drained, but the rest was still there. I felt it and it was kind of hard. So I fed her some coconut oil and massaged the crop to loosen the impaction. But as the lump loosened, I could feel a bunch of rocks inside the crop. There are so many, that when I massage the crop, I can hear the rocks scratching and rubbing against each other.
I kept massaging throughout the day, hoping the rocks would go down, but they're just not getting out of the crop. I also felt a pretty big rock inside the crop, which I'm not sure can even get down at all. So what do I do now?

Okay, so here's an update. She actually managed to get almost all the rocks down, which is great. I thought she would be all good by this morning, but then the dummy decided to eat the newspaper that was lining her crate. So now she's got a clump of newspaper stuck in her crop. 🤦‍♀️ I've been massaging her crop and giving her lots of fluids, so hopefully she manages to get this down soon.

Okay, so here's an update. She actually managed to get almost all the rocks down, which is great. I thought she would be all good by this morning, but then the dummy decided to eat the newspaper that was lining her crate. So now she's got a clump of newspaper stuck in her crop. 🤦‍♀️ I've been massaging her crop and giving her lots of fluids, so hopefully she manages to get this down soon.
The paper should fall apart into a mushy mass, & pass with out issue. Just needs lots of fluids.

Back
Top Bottom